Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win7 formatted drives not backwards compatible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chimera15

chimera15

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

So I built a new machine, and installed winxp x64 on it cause I want to use it to play games and want to maximize the power of it. I'm using a ssd for the main drive. I pulled some of the drives I had as secondary drives on another system which is a windows 7 based system. When I booted xp it recognizes the drives as normal in the bios, but when I try to pull the drives up in the explorer in the xp system I encounter a drive failure.

I confirmed there's nothing wrong with the drive. I've tried this several times with different drives that have been formatted by windows 7, and there's nothing wrong with the drives. I can put them back into the win7 machine and it reads them no problem. I know that win7 formats the drive in a different format or something than normally xp so I'm thinking that must be it.

I tried searching through the net about this problem but got almost no results. I wonder if there's a special driver I need for xp to recognize my win7 drives?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

Are you runing at least SP2 on your XP install?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 purpleblue

purpleblue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

mabey you should ask some professional to formatted your pc again.

#4 chimera15

chimera15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

I actually am a professional. I worked as a computer repair technician. I build high end gaming and media systems. This is actually a personal build though.

I don't want to reformat these drives. They have terabytes of info on them, and not going to buy another to back them up. They also serve as full backup drives for my os as well, I can drive select which system to boot on. (I was thinking this might also be part of the issue)

Yes it's running 64 bit sp2.

I suppose that is one potential fix, to just buy a bigger drive, and copy all the info on them onto a new drive, and then reformat them under xp. It's strange I would have to go to this method and there isn't a os fix for this though. I would also have to wipe the os backup I have on that drive, which sucks.

Part of the deal is that I want these drives to be hot swappable between my xp and win7 machines, but it looks like it only works one way, from xp to win7, so a bit strange and disappointing.

It's strange that I haven't found much info on this, I can't believe I'm the only one to have run into this problem.

I managed to pull some drives from an older xp system and put them on this one so I have some space for now, but next time I'll know to use xp to format data drives from now on. lol

Interesting thread here:

My link

Someone there confirms that win7 ntfs is slightly different than xp ntfs, and xp can't see win7 ntfs...wtf.

Here's another discussion, lot of myth and redirection about this. Interesting some say there's almost no difference, and I shouldn't have a problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1249-63-ntfs-win7-windows

Edited by chimera15, 24 August 2011 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users