Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer won't start!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jylozo

Jylozo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

Okay, so I was playing a game then suddenly my computer freezes, well not really freeze just my programs all werent responding, including task manager, so i turned power off and back on.

I am greeted with a choice of two options, to "startup repair" or just start normally.

But both options give me this:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to recieve this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured.

Tried safe mode, still does this, please help I have important data I just cannot lose. =(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

Boot to your W7 dvd and choose the startup repair options. Let's see if anything there helps.

#3 Jylozo

Jylozo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

Okay, I put the CD in and the computer simply ignores it.

What now?

EDIT: wait i changed the setup a bit, now its booting up from it, I'll post the results in a sec.

EDIT: 30 minutes later.... it's still on "attempting repairs".... :mellow:

EDIT: 2 hours later, still stuck, It won't let me cancel either. :(

EDIT: FINALLY it's done, saying it cannot repair the computer automatically.... :/

Edited by Jylozo, 29 August 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#4 Jylozo

Jylozo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

I'm beginning to think it's just the computer, because we tested the hard drive on another pc and it loaded fine. :blink:

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

Sorry, I've been without internet service since the storm on Saturday.

We can check the memory if you like: To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#6 Jylozo

Jylozo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:28 AM

Well I've managed to get my data back by having it put in another PC and transferred to my external hard drive, but now we are trying to reformat but it ignores the CD, I burned memtest to a cd and tried it, it ignored that as well. :wacko:

I dont get it, it could read the hard drive from another pc, but not this one, even when I had all the data erased it made that error so I'm thinking something is broken.

I'll be sending it for check up in a few days and see how things will go.

Thanks for helping anyways. :)

#7 gekas

gekas

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:53 AM

If you can enter BIOS then very likely your core system (motherboard/CPU/memory/video) is ok, and the problem is in a faulty device (DVD drive?). Unplug all the devices and all the extension cards except the video card, and enter the BIOS screen (press DEL on startup screen). If ok, plug in your hard drive and try to boot from it. If ok, add your devices and extension cards one by one to find the faulty one. And don't forget to power off your system before pluggin or unplugging anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users