Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power supply connector troubles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tylerzentz

tylerzentz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

i took my power supply out of my computer and tested it on a different motherboard to see if the motherboard was good. it was- booted up fine. i put the power supply back into my computer and turned it on but my computer didnt boot because i forgot to attach the 4pin connector to the mobo. in my stupidity i connected it while the power supply was on and it sparked. my computer would still boot but i didnt have a display because that 4pin connector powers my on-board graphics so i tried to figure out if i fried the connection on the motherboard or the one on the power supply. i got ahold of another power supply and that one worked for a few hours until i lost my display again. so my question is is it possible that my 4pin connection on the motherboard is damaged and ruins the power supply connection? or would that sparking have ruined the motherboard connection entirely and the second power supply i acquired happened to be faulty? and is there a way i could use a multimeter on the 4pin connection on the motherboard to narrow down possibilities? any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by tylerzentz, 23 August 2011 - 07:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

Chances are that your motherboard fried to death.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 tylerzentz

tylerzentz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

well the thing is i was still able to use my computer when i put the second power supply in until that one went bad too. now im not having any luck with either power supply so i dont know if i should purchase a new one or look into getting a new mobo instead.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Could you unplug all of your cable, VGA, Memory from your Mainboard and release your Mainboard from Case and bring it to area that have great light and view and look for any defective IC / Transistor (hope right spell in english) or any burn sign on your Mainboard. Using Magnifying Glass will be good.

There is 50%-50% you fried your Mainboard or not. and you need do some test with your Eyes and Hands. But I only give advice to test it with your Eyes not your Hands as you could burn your Hand while you test it.

And next time its better to test your Power Supply without put it in Computer Case. Just Put it at outside Computer Case to prevent things like this happens.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users