Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS Machine - Windows 7 won't boot in normal mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BluePoint Reve

BluePoint Reve

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:52 PM

Hello all -

Some time ago, after doing the SP3 (3, I seem to recall) for W7, I noticed my bootup went haywire. I'd get to the windows logo screen, then the faint blue, and that's it. I understand there were some issues with this service pack, and I removed the install. Everything seemed good, but the problem came back after several days.

I attempted to get back via a restore point, and that, too, worked for awhile; no longer.

The last thing I can think of, is an attempted load of my son's game; bargain priced game, didn't notice it was designed for 98/ME/XP until after attempting to install. Hung up on install, keyboard frozen, install menu turned
dull," and that's it. CNTRL-ALT-DEL to blast the install didn't work, either.

I rebooted, and ever since, the above-issue; whatever I've tried, can't get in via normal mode.

When I boot, whether in normal or safe mode, my keyboard takes awhile to indicate it is "on," and once the light comes on, if attempting in normal mode, I type the password (blind - blue-black screen, faintly illuminated; what I type can't be seen), but all that happens is I see the desktop - no programs, incl. explorer, running (once again, this is if I attempt in normal mode).

I went through all the F8 "repair your computer" options - and they all say, the computer is fine. I did run SCF/Scannow, and it said there were some corrupted files, but couldn't fix them.

I can get into safemode with networking. Kaspersky won't update in safe mode though, and, well, just a drag. I very much appreciate whatever help could be provided. Thanks.

Edited by BluePoint Reve, 23 August 2011 - 05:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BluePoint Reve

BluePoint Reve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hi All - I hope this doesn't transgress rules - read the FAQs and searched for "bumps" and didn't find anything, so if this isn't allowed, please let me know, and I'll gladly comply.

Still at wit's end with this - can't print anything in safe mode, and need to print, at least (work out of the home), so this issue is really hitting home in a bad way. Anyone, any suggestions? I'd post the scannow log, but it is ridiculously large, so figured that wasn't helpful. I'll gladly follow whatever is suggested, and thanks again.

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hello BluePoint Reve,

If you are running Windows 7, it would have been Service Pack One (SP1). Are you sure that you are running Windows 7?

If so, do you have the Windows 7 Install DVD?

You said that system file checker (SFC) found some bad files. Check out the link below and arrow down to Option Three: If you can post the sfcdetails.txt maybe a more advanced tech can help.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Regards,
Brooks

#4 BluePoint Reve

BluePoint Reve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hi Artrooks - Thank you for the help. Yes, SP1 - sorry, couldn't recall which SP applied. I do have W7.

I ended up resetting everything to factory defaults, and thankfully, saved all important data to an external drive. We're back up and running, everything looks good.

Many thanks again.

Mods, please feel free to close the thread.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

Glad to hear everything worked out well.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users