Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard And Mouse Non-responsive After Startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TylerMN

TylerMN

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

Hi, one of my computers is running win 2000, and just recently i turned it on and the keyboard and mouse worked up until the part of the win 2000 start up screen. This computer was made by a guy in my home town and has no restore disk. I have tried using other mouses and keyboards with no luck. Any idea's of how to fix it?
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:32 AM

Try updating the drivers.

By the way, are you using usb connections or ps2 ports? Usb connections are sometimes problematic - try the ps2 connects.

Control panel/ system/hardware/device manager/keyboard/device - click on the driver tab, update driver.

Do the same for the mouse.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in the device manager?

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 January 2006 - 12:34 AM.

#3 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

"By the way, are you using usb connections or ps2 ports? Usb connections are sometimes problematic - try the ps2 connects"

its a ps2 port

Try updating the drivers.

how do i do that with out the use of a mouse or keyboard?
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:09 AM

If you have use of the K/M in safe mode, Boot into safe mode with networking. You will have limited access. Have you run your Antivirus and antispyware in safe mode?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:12 AM

I was just thinking abouy these ideas.

During bootup can you get to the BIOS? The keyboard may be still working here. See ifhere is a setting in the BIOS for a "User" password. You can try typing 'nothing' or 'user' and it may unlock the keyboard.

Do you have a USB port?
Try using a Usb mouse/keyboard. if possible.

What is the make n model of the motherboard.
If it's not malware you may have cooked the port as the PS2 port is controlled by the board not windows. If the USB works you'll know you cooked the ports.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

If you have use of the K/M in safe mode, Boot into safe mode with networking. You will have limited access. Have you run your Antivirus and antispyware in safe mode?

problem also happens in safe mode.

During bootup can you get to the BIOS? The keyboard may be still working here. See ifhere is a setting in the BIOS for a "User" password. You can try typing 'nothing' or 'user' and it may unlock the keyboard.

yes, the problem doesnt happen until windows starts, however i dont see an area for "user" password but there is a slot to put in a password for the BOIS.

Do you have a USB port?
Try using a Usb mouse/keyboard. if possible.

i dont have a USB one, and just out of courosity, would that even matter cause it appears to be a problem with windows and not the ports.

What is the make n model of the motherboard.
If it's not malware you may have cooked the port as the PS2 port is controlled by the board not windows. If the USB works you'll know you cooked the ports.

K7SEM
Firm Factor: Micro ATX
Chipset:SiS730S
VGA/Audio: Yes/Yes
Modem/LAN: No/Yes
DIMM/RIMM:2/0
ISA/PCI/AGP/AMR/CNR:0/2/1/1/1

tyler

Edited by TylerMN, 20 January 2006 - 05:51 PM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:24 AM

Try to reboot using last known good configuration using safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users