Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed Hosts file, cannot connect to internet HELP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vital_whale

vital_whale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

I followed the instructions on this page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/hosts-files-explained/
I renamed my hosts file "hosts.orig", downloaded, unzipped, and saved another hosts file from http://hosts-file.net/?s=Download, named HOSTS in the same place as the original. After that, I couldn't connect to the internet at home or at the library. I tried deleting the "new" hosts file that I downloaded, in order to put things back to how they used to be, but any time I try to do something to the "HOSTS" file I get a pop up saying: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Cryptographic Services.... close the file and try again" which doesn't work.
I tried stopping the DNS thing, but that only worked for about 5 minutes. I restarted the computer because it was slowing down, and the DNS thing restarted itself, and the internet disconnected again. HELP PLEASE
EDIT: I try stopping it, but an error message saying "Windows could not stop the DNS client service on local computer. error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

Edited by vital_whale, 23 August 2011 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

Why did you look at the hosts file in the first place?
Assume you are running windows 7 because you are in this forum.

You may not even have a hosts file in Windows 7.
Typical location is: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

You do NOT need a hosts file.

If one exists it can look like this for Win7: [ NOTE: all lines are commented out ]

# Copyright © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

Not sure what you downloaded and you can confirm the above directory is where you put it.
But deleting the downloaded one is suggested and leave the original one .orig.

Maybe safe mode will allow you to delete it - make sure you have admin "elevated" rights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users