Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backdoor Baesty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 choughed

choughed

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

Hi I have Norton Systemworks 2006 fully updated . It picks up Backdoor beasty and says it could not fix the problem then five minutes later it does a scan and quarantines it and tells me to restart my PC , on restart the beasty is back and it goes thru the same process again .
I know where the problem file is , it is in the Windows folder and the file name is "msvgnt.dll" I have tried to delete the file both in safe mode and in normal windows I can delete it in safe mode using Cyberscrub to erase beyond recovery but when I restart into normal mode it is back in the windows file .
I have been to Norton antivirus web site and it says to locate and delete certain registry values but these values are not present in my registry .
Can anybody sugest anything else to try ? is there a way that I can delete the dll , or any other way please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

Thank you for using Bleepingcomputer.com

If you think you may be infected, please submit a hijackthis log to the forum below.

HJT forum

Follow these instructions on how to submit a log.

Submitting a hijackthis log

You can also install one or all of these programs, update them, but run them separately

Counterspy, Trendmicro Anti Spyware free trial , Ad-aware ,
Spybot- S&D ---> (Spybot tutorial)

If your using Win2K/XP run adaware/spybot from "safe mode with command prompt"

At the C:\ prompt type the following:-

cd\
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
cd\
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe

Once these are done, reboot in normal mode.

If you want to run a last resort virus scan, Try TrendMicro House call. Dont use this as a primary Anti virus program, and this should only be used as a last resort.

If you're looking for a First rate AVP, i wouldnt recommend Norton Anti Virus. As most Virii writers these days tend to target Norton, thus depleting the purpose. I would use AVG Anti Virus, Its a free virus scanner, and very accurate. Please uninstall NAV completely, then install AVG, update, and scan.

Edited by Uraiser, 18 January 2006 - 07:10 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

Have you run

http://www.TrojanHunter.com/

It's a free trial evaluation. It will run, find and remove it for you.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

Ah, yes. Fine addition, boopme. I hope you dont mind if I use your reference in my list. I completely forgot about that program.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:35 AM

This is a free program. :thumbsup:

a-squared Free
Last update: Jan 15 06
Number of Signatures:
Trojans 126782
Dialer 39269
Worms 12075
Spyware 7685
Traces 50192

Here is a link to a-squared's malware database.
Warning: Due to the size of it, it can take a while for the entire page to load.
It is much quicker to load a specific page. Such as only the trojans for instance.
aČ Malware Database

The following harmful programs (Malware) can be detected and removed with aČ. The list contains Trojans, Backdoors, HackTools, Batch Viruses und Trojans, Internet-Worms, IRC-Worms, Java-Scripts, Webserver-Scripts, VBS-Scripts, Virus-Construction Kits, Denial of Service Tools (DoS), Distributed Denial of Service Tools (DDoS), Flooder, Keylogger, Nuker, Sniffer and Unix-Viruses.

Posted Image

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:49 AM

thanks Scarlett .... handy dandy
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users