Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Anti-Virus Alert issue on my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jhornberger

jhornberger

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

Hello,

I am currently using Etrac which is used for appraisal review. On some of the pages I get the following message from my computer at work which is on a network.

"Gateway Anti-Virus Alert
This request is blocked by the SonicWALL Gateway Anti-Virus Service. Name: VBS.Drost1 (Trojan)"

Is there anyway to turn off something on my computer so that I can access these pages? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Would this be a home setting or a business type environment?

#3 jhornberger

jhornberger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for replying. This is a small business. Probably 8 computers on the network. No other workers go into etrac so they do not encounter the problem.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

Can you test from those different computers?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

Since you say this a work computer, have you contacted and advised your Domain Administrator, Business Manager, or IT Department?

In most work environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. In fact, many companies will require you to read those policies and sign a statement of understanding. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use business resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. We will not assist with attempts to circumvent those policies or security measures unless the IT staff requests our assistance.

A business IT Department generally has established procedures in place to deal with issues and infections on client machines on the network. As such, they may not approve of employees seeking help at an online forum or outside the business office as doing so could interfere or cause problems with their removal methods. The malware you are dealing with may have infected the network. If that's the case, the IT Department needs to be advised right away so they can take the appropriate disinfection measures. It's also possible the detection could be a "false positive" and the IT staff should be involved so they can contact and confirm with the anti-virus vendor.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users