Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:24 PM

I'm trying to run the Ubuntu 5.10 Live cd to get a taste of the OS before i decide if i want to dual-boot with it or not. However, i keep getting the same error message.

After tinkering with the boot parameters (seems i only need "live noapic nolapic" to get to the error), it runs fairly well. It goes through the processes, with a black screen and an orange "Ubuntu" logo in the middle. Below it, processes are run and checked. It gets to a black screen with white type, and pauses at "Checking Battery Charge" or something similar.

After that, a blue screen pops up (BSOD in linux?!) and says "There is a problem with your X server (graphical interface), and it may not be setup correctly." It then gives me the option to view detailed information (sorta like system specs) about the error. Then it says that "X server will be disabled" or something, and the paragraph includes "GTD". I forgot to write down the message, but i can retrieve it if it's needed.

So what am i doing wrong? Is there a boot parameter i need to input? What's this X server, and how do i edit how it's setup?

If it matters, i'm running an eMachines with AMD 64 3000+, 1gb ram, 150gb hd, 128mb ATI xpress 200, with XP.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 18 January 2006 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

I typed out a reply earlier today and now it is not here so....

fglrxconfig

if you are an owner of a recent ATI graphic card, it is the recommended method (it will set the ATI drivers specific options right. Using the default is generaly a good idea)

you can also post the output of this command:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:31 PM

I typed out a reply earlier today and now it is not here so....

fglrxconfig

if you are an owner of a recent ATI graphic card, it is the recommended method (it will set the ATI drivers specific options right. Using the default is generaly a good idea)

you can also post the output of this command:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

Tried that, and it didn't seem to do the trick. However, i went straight to the Ubuntu forums (should've done that in the first place...) and was able to get a solution. It involved the sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg command line after the error.

I switched the driver from ATI to Vesa, and it runs perfectly now. I've already installed and setup Ubuntu on another partition, so i'll probably go back in and reconfigure the video drivers to get the most out of my 128mb (albeit pretty crappy) ATI Radeon.

#4 Pancho_Pepe

Pancho_Pepe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

After tinkering with the boot parameters (seems i only need "live noapic nolapic" to get to the error), it runs fairly well. It goes through the processes, with a black screen and an orange "Ubuntu" logo in the middle. Below it, processes are run and checked. It gets to a black screen with white type, and pauses at "Checking Battery Charge" or something similar.

After that, a blue screen pops up (BSOD in linux?!) and says "There is a problem with your X server (graphical interface), and it may not be setup correctly." It then gives me the option to view detailed information (sorta like system specs) about the error. Then it says that "X server will be disabled" or something, and the paragraph includes "GTD". I forgot to write down the message, but i can retrieve it if it's needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After selecting no, in order not to see the report on why the x server has failed then I get the same screen having at the end the message": Checking Battery Charge" or something similar.

I am at this point, how were you able to type that command? I have got the same messages as you described, but i am not able to type anything and the cd is not running.

Please help!!!

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1gb ram, 450gb hd, 256mb ATIClub 3D X800 XL, with XPP.

Edited by Pancho_Pepe, 04 April 2006 - 03:22 PM.

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

Press "Control + Alt + F1". This will bring up a non-GUI terminal for you to type in the command.

Extra Info: After you configure your drivers, if you are sent back to the command prompt, type in "startx" (without the "") to start the GUI. Also, whenever you're in the visual, you can press "Control + Alt + F1 through F6" to switch to any of the terminals (F1 - F6). Pressing "Control + Alt + F7" is the visual ubuntu destkop.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 04 April 2006 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users