Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beware of Download.com bloatware

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

From Lifehacker.

Download.com Adds Opt-Out Bloatware to Software Installers

If you're in the habit of downloading software installers from CNET's Download.com, you may want to reconsider: The popular download site now wraps most of the software installers it hosts with opt-out bloatware.

Read

http://lifehacker.com/5833597/downloadcom-adds-opt+out-bloatware-to-software-installers

For rest of article

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 August 2011 - 03:28 PM.
Added short quote to provide main theme of article. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

I become aware of this the other day (when someone asked this question over on the WebApps Stack Exchange) and was very displeased. I didn't care for download.com already but now it blacklisted for me.

Edited by Andrew, 23 August 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#3 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

I have heard of some people trying to download a file from Download.com and having a second file download without their permission. It happened to me when Download.com was the only place to download Avast. I was given ComboFix, but everyone else was sent a useless program like a registry cleaner or RAM defragmenter. Since then, I have avoided Download.com.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:11 PM

I try to find something good in most everything. Well here goes. It's not the Ask tool bar.

#5 Photoshop is a lie.

Photoshop is a lie.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

A toolbar with every download. Sourceforge is better.

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

Yeah, really nice, guys. And CF isn't supposed to be up there.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#7 Hannes91

Hannes91

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

Very interesting news, wasn't aware of it. Thanks for the heads up!

#8 Minh Triet Pham Tran

Minh Triet Pham Tran

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Download.com also gives an option to download with a direct link.
If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology. Bruce Schneier

#9 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

When I go to malwarebytes.org and click the download button, 9 times out of ten it takes me to the c|net download, http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button , and it isn't always clear to people which "download" button to click, probably causing lots of people to accidentally install one of those registry "cleaners." Pretty yucky.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#10 Alexander Caldwell

Alexander Caldwell

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

Download.com has also had this problem with Nmap. They did not have consent from Nmap to host their software, yet they did and with added bloatware/adware. When The owner of Nmap confronted Download.com about this they said something along the lines of: We can post whatever downloads we want, and it is you responsibility to tell us to take it down if you don't like it.

The thing is they don't tell the developers that they are posting their software. I recommend staying away from CNET until they change their policies.

Here's the link to the article:

http://insecure.org/news/download-com-fiasco.html

#11 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:22 AM

How wonderful, yeah right, not! That further confirms my belief that a recent download from there that NOD32 blocked was the stupid wrapper program this time wrapping an XMPP server. Well, I could have avoided even having to dodge the block by going directly to the site which I didn't at first because I wanted to avoid providing a company information of mine that in my opinion they don't need when offering a free product. I ended up having to give the information to avoid being infected. (I allowed NOD32 to take Win32/InstallCore.C). But after reading the privacy policy on the site, I didn't mind their request of information, for now I give it freely, and so far, they've kept to their word.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#12 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

it isn't always clear to people which "download" button to click, probably causing lots of people to accidentally install one of those registry "cleaners." Pretty yucky.

I clicked on the correct download link. At the time, clicking on the Download Now button opened another page with another download button. When I clicked on this link, my antivirus software immediately displayed a message that said it found Trojan.ADH in combofix.exe. After the file was automatically removed by the antivirus software, the prompt asking me if I wanted to run or save the file I actually wanted to download appeared. The other cases I heard about showed that the same thing happened, but the unwanted download wasn't blocked by their antivirus software.

#13 preferred user 1955

preferred user 1955

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

I've had better luck downloading direct from the software source mostly depending in who is hosting their downloads .
Download.com used to be the spot many years ago but lately it seems they have been adding bloatware into their downloads
Frankp316 nailed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users