Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install Ubuntu on a Dell with no operating system

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jhornberger

jhornberger

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hello,

I have an older Dell Dimension 2400 computer with no operating system. It was given to me without one. Not sure what happened to it. I would like to install Ubuntu but without any operating system I am at a loss. Is there a way to get the operating system using another computer and install it that way. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Burn Ubuntu to a CD using another computer, set up the Dell's BIOS to boot from the CD (this step may not be necessary), put the CD in the tray, reboot, and you should be able to install Ubuntu.

Edited by MadDawg, 23 August 2011 - 12:35 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

I recommend using Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (long term support)
Check to make sure you have a minimum of 300 mb of RAM. If not, suggest you get more or use a different Linux distro.

You need a live CD of Ubuntu to use first to see if it recognizes the hardware which I expect it will.
That means you need to download the .iso, burn to a CD. A slow burn is best.

Here is a link to a howto:
Installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - Softpedia

Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (Lucid Lynx) ISO Desktop CD i386 (download link)
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 jhornberger

jhornberger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

Thank you both for the information. I appreciate it.

#5 jhornberger

jhornberger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

I have a Windows XP Pro that is partially installed on this Dell. I think it is causing the Ubuntu to not install properly. Any thoughts. is there a way to clear the hard drive and start over. Thanks again

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

How far did you get in the installation?
Are you allowing Ubuntu to use the entire HDD?
It should have no problem with reformatting and using the entire HDD. If the HDD is healthy.
How much RAM is installed on this computer?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 jhornberger

jhornberger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for replying. It actually freezes on a multi-colored screen when installing Ubuntu and then the screen goes blank. When I originally installed Windows XP, I could not go further then the product key. Not sure how much RAM but I will post it later. Thanks

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

I should of asked if you first tried to run it as a LIVE CD instead of attempting to install first.
Running as a live CD is a good way to find if your hardware is compatible. It does not use the HDD.
If it did load and run from the live CD then I would suspect the HDD is not healthy.

#9 jhornberger

jhornberger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

It is a Dell Dimension 2400 with Pentium 4 Processor - 2.66 GHZ Level 2 Cache 512 KB Thank you

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

That is the processors specs.
That computer was shipped from the factory with as little as 128 mb of RAM to 500 mb of RAM.

Try running as a Live CD. No installation... just run from CD-DVD/ ROM.
When the live CD reaches the point where you see the desktop, do not click on the install icon. Instead
click on the Firefox icon in top bar of screen to open the browser. If you are able to do that then you have
enough RAM to install and my guess would be that the HDD is not healthy and would need replacing.

#11 jhornberger

jhornberger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

I have the operating system up and running on the Dell desktop. Thank you very much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users