Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP SP3 - no more IE8 and no relief...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gpence

gpence

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

I am running Win XP Professional SP3. Yesterday, I lost internet access and contacted my net admin. My machine had been black listed for scanning other IP addresses on our network. He had me run our standard Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition which found nothing. He then had me run Spybot Search and Destroy. It found 6 errors which (to me) appeared to be non-relevant entries. They were all things like "ad.click entry in your registry", etc. We quarantined them and deleted them. Then I noticed my Internet Explorer 8 icon was missing from the desktop. He suggested I uninstall and reinstall IE8, which I did. The only problem is that the folder appears to be hidden now.

He restored my internet access and apparently I'm not scanning anymore, but I continue to have issues. I tried running Search and Destroy again and it seemed to freeze -- it was at the same place the next morning, so I killed the process. My next step was to try MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. It gave me 2 error messages. The first dialog box was titled vbAccelerator sGrid II Control and said "Run time error '0' " -- when I click OK the next dialog box is titled Malware Bytes Anti-Malware and says: "Run time error '440'" on the first line and "Automation Error" on the second. When I click OK, everything closes.

My final attempt was to use the ESET online scanner. It got to the downloading definitions phase (which said it completed 100%) and gave me an error code "2003".

What do I try now??

Thanks,
gpence

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gpence

gpence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

OK, after researching the "vbAccelerator SGrid II Control" error, I found I needed to uninstall and reinstall MBAM.

Done. I ran a quick scan and it found no infections... then why is my IE 8 not executing and is showing hidden, and why would my PC have been blacklisted by our firewall for scanning other IP addresses (although it is not now doing so)?

Something is not adding up here. Ideas?

Thanks,
gpence

P.S. - I forgot to add one other point. I tried to use a system restore (twice using different dates) and it was unable to restore the previous settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users