Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hewlett Packard to stop computer manufacturing. Moving from hardware to software.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

ABC News reported:

Hewlett-Packard Co. is surrendering in smartphones and tablet computers and has put its personal computer division up for sale, as new CEO Leo Apotheker tries to transform the Silicon Valley stalwart into a twin of East Coast archrival IBM Corp.

The restructuring announced Thursday contains an unmistakable message: HP has failed to cater to both consumers and corporations. As a result, it needs to exit most of its consumer businesses, just as IBM did six years ago.

The full article can be found here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=14335125

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

Wow is the only word I can use to describe this.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

holy wow!! that's not good!
-BrendanT

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

They should be surrendering there laptop market which is completely garbarge and unreliable.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

Wow... It was a good manufacturer in my opinion

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:24 PM

As someone said on twitter. Maybe the new owners will call the personal computer division that is for sale, Compaq.....

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

I think the big shock is that they've also dropped webOS - which is surprising considering they only bought from Palm last year!

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#8 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

HP hasn't made good computers since they bought Compaq. Every Compaq I have seen was a piece of junk, but some people had good luck with them.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Thats a bummer, I have always found HP computers, both desktops, and laptops to be solid computers, and them to have solid customer service, I am saddenned to hear this news, as I was when IBM left the consumer market, I liked their PCs to. Hopefully, whoever purchases the consumer branch, will uphold to the same standard of computing, just as Lenova did with IBM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

HP hasn't made good computers since they bought Compaq. Every Compaq I have seen was a piece of junk, but some people had good luck with them.

I would have to agree with you there. My cousin bought a Compaq and after 2 years it started overheating like crazy, so i decided to take it apart and clean out the fan but it turned out to be clean. So my 2 hours were wasted on taking it apart. Same goes with HP they are a lot more difficult to take apart when compared to other laptops i've taken apart.

Thats a bummer, I have always found HP computers, both desktops, and laptops to be solid computers, and them to have solid customer service, I am saddenned to hear this news, as I was when IBM left the consumer market, I liked their PCs to. Hopefully, whoever purchases the consumer branch, will uphold to the same standard of computing, just as Lenova did with IBM.

There laptops were crap and you were considered lucky if your HP/Compaq didn't break down. My aunty just bought a Compaq and it started to have overheating problem after 3 months of use, when i checked it out, the temperature was flying up to 70C in the logon screen which is why it just froze. Also the fan was completely clean, so i told her to refund it and get a Toshiba or Asus. Lenovo currently is doing very well and making money fast with there expansion in Germany.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

I have a hp laptop that I purchased refurbished 5 years ago (it was used when I bought it) that is still running flawlessly, my wife has a compaq, again, running flawlessly. I have resold many HP laptops, as well as recomended many-none of which, have ever had a problem. I suggest any problems you have with them are well, sorry to say, perhaps you just got a bad batch in your area-perhaps, if you have a problem with one you should do what most people dont and actually contact HP customer support and actually get the problem fixed, thats why they come with a warranty. From what Ive seen, about 80% of the laptops I deal with are either DELL, or ACERs, with the other 20% being mixmatched issues. Ive only had one hp/compaq Ive worked on, and it was virus problems, and it was the same customer both times, and it was because said customer kept downloading pirated music, which means user error, not computer error.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#12 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

I have heard of Compaqs that came from the factory without any thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink.

My HP laptop was given to me because Windows would not start on a cold boot. If the computer was left on for a few minutes and restarted, Windows would boot but crash after a few hours. The problem was a flaw in the BIOS. This computer was most likey the cheapest computer you could buy when it was new. Its CPU is equivalent to a 1.4GHz Pentium 4.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

Sad news. I've been always HP person. Had, still have several computers by HP/Compaq and I've been always happy with them.
On a top of it, HP customer service has been very solid for me.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:35 AM

/rant on

I'm glad somebody else has had success with HP, because we have had nothing but problems with them where I work. Not only do their products suck (too many problems to mention, but here's a short list: driver problems, hardware problems/failures, BSOD's, freezes, incompatibilities, etc...on brand new PC's, mind you), trying to get support is horrendous. To get a chat session going you have to enter the serial number and product number...too bad the system rejects the numbers whether they're right or not (meaning you can never get a chat going). Contact by email is often ignored for days or weeks. You can't order a computer because this processor requires this sticker on the case, but there is no drop down menu to change the sticker when you change the processor. When they ship stuff, they'll put something small like a speaker bar in this gigantic box, shipped WEEKS ahead of the computer itself. Don't get me started on docking stations and monitors. And good luck trying to track anything they ship. I've NEVER successfully tracked a package using HP's website (it never finds the order). They switch graphics cards (and corresponding outputs, DVI-D to DMS-59) on a batch of computers with no notification but still ship the old graphics splitters with the computers. We had to wait over a month to get a new laptop in because there was some chip shortage. I could go on for ages.

I would KILL to get our Dell contract back (okay, not really, but you know what I mean). We joke all the time about getting on Dell's support chat (which is super easy to use, btw) just because we miss them. lol.

But seriously, I'm not sad to see HP go.

*EDIT*: Oh, one more before I leave. We were trying to find out when the warranty expired for a given HP computer. Using their site was useless as the form wouldn't take any serial or product number we threw at it. Somehow managed to get on chat and gave the lady the serial number. She couldn't find it either. As it turns out, you MUST use uppercase characters (figured that out ourselves after baffling the support lady).

To the HP fans out there, sorry for bashing them, but I only talk from experience. Everything was so much easier with Dell.

/rant off

Edited by keyboardNinja, 26 August 2011 - 12:51 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:50 AM

huh, cant say as Ive ever had that problem. Ive contacted HP support numerous times, usually just dropped them an email and that was it-didnt have to put in any numbers serial keys or whatever, and they usually get back to me quicky, often within the hour if not the day (unless its the weekend) I wonder if they deal with their average customer different then commercial customers.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users