Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPConfig returns a DNS Suffix of Not Valid

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IThoughtINewItALL

IThoughtINewItALL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

First of all I want to say what a great site you all have put together here. The list goes on and on of tremendous help you guys (and gals) have given out. First time posting so here goes. I am working on a friends Desk Top that is running WinXP (SP3) and has all the current up dates validated and installed. It did have a couple trogens loaded and some malware and by following along some of these other issues on here it seems to be free so far. the one issue that is still resolved is that I am trying to set up a wireless network for him and his family but when I do an IPConfig it returns a DNS Suffix code of Not valid. the local area connector returns a random IP address each time. And the wireless router maintains it's DHCP enabled IPAddress. The modem is a DSL and is plugged into the desktop via a cat5e cable. Now I believe my mom has the same cable company (and the same DSL modem) and she recently lost service because I think SBC Global switched to AT&T. I think all I did was go to the AT$T website and download a few quick downloads and it was off and running. My friend doesn't have his email adress or PW anymore to boot. My question is, is this a HiJack DNS? or is it more of a setup issue with the modem? Sorry I am not near the desktop but wanted to get this out here. I can provide all the logs and test tonight/tomorrow night once I get back over there to look at it. But I believe his Desktop is set up right.... Let me know when one of you get a chance! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:56 PM

What happens if you set a Static IP address?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users