Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get updates from windows updates

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 datkwikracer

datkwikracer

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

Here is my initial post on bleepincomputer where I got help to remove some crap on my aunts computer.

This is my current problem:

When I first go to the windows update site it tells me to "Get the latest Windows Update software." I then click "Install now." I then get "Windows Update is downloading and installing the updated software." Then a percentage shows progress of downloading, then copying, and finally registering. They all reach 100% then I get:

Error number: 0x80070002]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

I tried the solutions to no avail. I did the default "fix it" first and it didn't work. I then tried the "aggressive fix" it and it didn't work. Finally I did the "let me fix it myself" and that didn't work.

Is there a way to check which updates are currently installed?

Is there a different way to get the updates?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

You could try automatic updates.

To find out which updates are already installed, type systeminfo in a command prompt.

If automatic updates doesn't work for you I have another solution but I need to know which version of IE and which version of WMP you are using.

Edited by .X., 23 August 2011 - 02:47 AM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:54 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic414208.html/page__view__findpost__p__2370302
Hi -
The link above is to a 'similar' problem that I was having , but that was a Win 7 OS.
I found several of the ideas good and I now updated the latest items from M/soft.

This quote from .X. is correct as you should always have updates set to automatic.
In Control Panel you will see "Automatic Updates" and you can set any day(s) to download the updates.

Hope This Helps - :wink:

#4 datkwikracer

datkwikracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:13 AM

To find out which updates are already installed, type systeminfo in a command prompt.

If automatic updates doesn't work for you I have another solution but I need to know which version of IE and which version of WMP you are using.

I do have automatic updates on. I do not know if it is working though.

Are the KB updates in order? If so, according to a quick google search, my last update (kb973815) at the bottom of the sysinfo is from June to August 2009. Is that right or am I understanding this wrong.

As for my IE version it's 8.0.6001.18702.

By WMP are you referring windows media player? If so its ver. 11.0.5721.5268.

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:59 AM

To see if automatic updates is working, you should have gotten an update today. August 2011 cumulative time zone update for Windows operating systems. KB2570791
Did you see that come through?

Are the KB updates in order?
No, I don't think so.

Yes, WMP = Windows Media Player.

Try this first. Reinstall Windows Update Agent and see if Windows/Microsoft Update work.

#6 datkwikracer

datkwikracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

To see if automatic updates is working, you should have gotten an update today. August 2011 cumulative time zone update for Windows operating systems. KB2570791
Did you see that come through?

Are the KB updates in order?
No, I don't think so.

Yes, WMP = Windows Media Player.

Try this first. Reinstall Windows Update Agent and see if Windows/Microsoft Update work.

I get the same error code when I try to install the windows update agent.

I don't see that update on the systeminfo list of kb updates.

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:50 AM

Let's give this a try...

Download Dial-a-fix from here.

Select Fix Windows Update as shown below. The other prerequisites will be auto selected. Press Go. It will take a minute or so. See if WU works after that.
Posted Image

If it does not work, run this command from from a command window: systeminfo>"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"
Attach systeminfo.txt that's on your desktop to your next reply.

#8 datkwikracer

datkwikracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:37 PM

Let me start by saying I appreciate your help.

As for Dial a fix it didn't help with the windows update. I did get a pop-up saying:
Note: regsvr32.exe was not found in C:\WINDOWS\system32 it goes on to say it won't affect dial-a-fix but it will affect other installs, thenit suggest to extracr the file from my installation media.
I don't an XP disc.

When I go the windows update site, aside from the error number mentioned earlier, I also got Error number: 0x800A138F. I don't know if it's of any relevance just thought I'd mention it.

I've attached the requested info.

TIA

Attached Files

Edited by datkwikracer, 26 August 2011 - 12:01 AM.

#9 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

Have you tried repair with sfc /scannow ?
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#10 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

@USN Vet, He doesn't have a XP CD.

@datkwikracer, do you have a recovery partition in lieu of an XP CD?

That missing regsvr32.exe is a major problem. Can you confirm that it is in fact missing. Look in system32 for it.
If it's not there, see if there is a copy in system32\dllcache. Copy it to system32 if there is.
Dial-a-fix can not perform the repairs without it regardless of what it said.

If you don't have one in system32 or system32\dllcache let's try this...

Download this file which I found. It's a self extracting archive so just double click it and 2 files will be extracted. REGSV32A.TXT and REGSVR32.EXE. Go ahead and copy REGSVR32.EXE to system32. It's a different version and I think it may be designed for Windows 98 but it may work.

Once you get a regsvr32.exe in system32 try to run Dial-a-fix again.

Please let us know how it goes.

#11 datkwikracer

datkwikracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:19 AM

do you have a recovery partition in lieu of an XP CD?

Well this is my aunts computer and she does have a D: drive named backup but there's 18.5Gb free out of 18.6Gb total size. So I'm guessing they must've erased it
or something.

Can you confirm that it is in fact missing. Look in system32 for it.
If it's not there, see if there is a copy in system32\dllcache. Copy it to system32 if there is

It wasn't in the system32 folder and I don't have the system32\dllcache folder either. I did a search and found 3 of them I attached a pic of where they are. Are either one of those the one I need. I went ahead and copied one of them to system32 and reran dial-a-fix this time it didn't give me that warning.

AND VOILA!!! :clapping: I didn't get the error anymore. It's earching for updates as I type.

I don't know if it was dial-a-fix or regsvr32 that did it,I do know however that you Mr .X. helped me out a great deal.

Is there any way I can check and repair any other missing windows files, without an XP disc?

Thanks again for your help with this problem, :thumbup2: I really appreciate it. I can finally return the computer to my aunt.

Attached Files

Edited by datkwikracer, 28 August 2011 - 12:25 AM.

#12 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:33 AM

It was Dial-a-fix :)

Good, you have a i386 folder! :thumbsup: We can make a XP CD if you want and check for other missing files

First I need to see something. I'm going to presume you don't know much about the Windows registry. Forgive me if this is not the case. Follow these steps...

Go to Start, Run type regedit and press enter or press OK.
Press Home
Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Expand Software
Expand Microsoft
Expand Windows
Expand CurrentVersion
Click on Setup so that you are at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup like so...

Posted Image

Take a screenshot of the right hand pane and add it to your next reply.

Edited by .X., 28 August 2011 - 02:35 AM.

#13 datkwikracer

datkwikracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:27 AM

Just installed 83 updates then 18 more after that. :thumbup2:

I don't know much about the registry.

We can make a XP CD if you want and check for other missing files

That'd be great.

Heres the screen shot

Posted Image

Is taht what you needed? Is that too big for the site?

#14 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:50 AM

Glad you are all updated now. :thumbup2:

Your settings in your image look good for a sfc /scannow. This will check for missing files. Click Start, Run and type sfc /scannow. When it is done scanning revisit Windows Update.

To make a CD out of that i386 folder first I need to see what Service Pack it is. Look in the i386 folder and see if there are SP1.CAB, SP2.CAB or SP3.CAB. Let me know which, if any, are there.

#15 datkwikracer

datkwikracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

It seems there is only a sp2 cabinet file in there. But in system properties it says I have sp3.

While running sfc/scannow a window said to insert an xp disc to restore files to the dll cache. I just canceled and let it continue. WIndows update didn't find any updates available.

Edited by datkwikracer, 28 August 2011 - 01:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users