Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows recovery virus - still having issues after removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sarahd.stephens

sarahd.stephens

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:55 PM

Hello all, I'm hoping I can find a solution to my virus problems on this forum. I have a fairly new Sony Vaio laptop, running Windows 7. I haven't had any problems with it until last night, when I accidently acquired what I now know is the Windows Recovery virus. I am hoping to find answers quick because I start class in a week and will desperately need the computer!

When I started up my computer this morning, my icons were gone, the screen black, and the windows recovery box popped up, saying that my hardware was corrupted, etc. I immediately downloaded the Malwarebytes program and removed the virus. After I did so, all of my icons were still hidden and everything in my start menu was missing as well. At a loss for what to do (and not knowing about unhide.exe), I decided to try a system restore and went back to a previous version of my settings (from August 19). I did that, and with a restart everything seemed back to normal. Desktop background back, icons back, all my music and documents back.

I thought I had solved the problem until I realized that everything stored under My Documents (mainly, my pictures) were still missing. It was then that I searched around and found the unhide.exe on the internet. I ran this and my pictures were back. Though I wish I would have tried this before I did the system restore, I thought that my virus problem was solved.

Now the issue seems to be with the internet. When I began running Firefox, I noticed a considerable lag when I tried to click on my bookmarks (facebook, youtube, etc.) The internet was slow, but the pages did load. However, when I try to go to google or yahoo and search something, it takes multiple clicks for a page to load, and when it is loading, I see strange, random urls appearing on the top of the browser. It will often redirect back to the search results page. Sometimes, a box will pop up saying "Do you want to open "search"" with an option to open or save. I just click cancel. With a bit of effort, I can get to the page I was trying to get to, but it takes multiple clicks and a lot of frustration.

In addition to malwarebytes, i've downloaded avast and webroot antivirus software, but those haven't found anything either. I thought that maybe I had the google redirect virus, but it didn't seem the same... my browser doesn't redirect to a different website, it just doesn't allow the site to load without several attempts. Even so, I did run tdsskiller.. the scan came up clean. Sorry if this post is lengthly or confusing, I just wanted to explain the full background of the issue. If anyone has a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

edit: forgot to add that I did reinstall firefox, as well as reinstalled internet explorer. The problem occurs on IE as well.

Edited by sarahd.stephens, 22 August 2011 - 11:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

Hello.

It appears that the issues on your system will require a more in-depth examination than can be performed in this forum. Please read the information in this guide, and follow all the steps beginning with step 6. After you have followed the steps in that guide, I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. The MRT is very busy, so it could be several days (3-5 days is the average wait right now) before you receive a reply. But rest assured, help is on the way!

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users