Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keep Firefox 5.01 and also install Firefox 6 separately?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

Usually I use either of two computers, one with Windows XP and another Windows Vista. The Vista one has Firefox 5.01, and I want to keep it in case Java is incompatible with Firefox Version 6, and I hope to install Firefox Version 6.0 separately and still keep Firefox Version 5.01. Does this seem reasonable?

How can I also find out if Java which is on the Vista machine is compatible with Version 6 of Firefox BEFORE downloading & installing Firefox v6?

This Vista machine: Windows Vista Home Premium (s.p. 1 or 2, can't remember, cannot find where this information), Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 5.01, Java Platform Standard Edition 6 (Version 1.6.0 (build 1.6.0_03-b05) copyright 2007 Sun Microsystems).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hi cafejose,

I believe it's possible to run 2 versions of Firefox on the same system if one of them is a portable version.

Mozilla Firefox 6 Portable Edition.

Though as far as I know, the problem with FF6 and Java is only with the Java Console Plug-in. This shouldn't affect the average user though and Java should work just fine in FF6. More importantly FF6 contains security fixes, so you should update soon for that reason alone.

It looks like you may also be running a very old version of Java. Please visit THIS SITE to verify you have the latest version installed. The latest secure Version is jre-6 Update 27. Be sure to uninstall all old versions of Java before installing the latest.

It is especially important for your systems security to keep Apps such as Java, Flash and PDF viewers up to date, as outdated versions of these Apps are among the most popular vectors of attack for malware.

A good way to keep informed if you have the latest updates for these and other popular Apps, as well as the latest MS security updates installed, is to use Secunia's Online Software Inspector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users