Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Protection Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nastybroccoli

Nastybroccoli

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

So I have the Security Protection malware on my laptop and tried following the removal instructions up on this site. Oddly when I run tdsskiller per the instructions it doesn't complete the scan before it force-quits. If I only run it on bootsectors it finds and 'fixes' an issue but upon restart malware bytes force-quits when I try to run it. If I try to run tdsskiller on both bootsectors and services & drivers or just services and drivers it force quits as well. This occurs in both safe mode w/ and w/out networking. When I run rkiller (regardless of which named version it is) I get no results in the log. I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to go from here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hello, try this

Download the FixTDSS.exe

Save the file to your Windows desktop.
Close all running programs.
If you are running Windows XP, turn off System Restore. How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore
Double-click the FixTDSS.exe file to start the removal tool.
Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.
Restart the computer when prompted by the tool.
After the computer has started, the tool will inform you of the state of infection (make sure to let me know what it said)
If you are running Windows XP, re-enable System Restore.

Then run RKill ,if no results run MBAm anyway

Also post the MBAM log.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Edited by boopme, 22 August 2011 - 07:48 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Nastybroccoli

Nastybroccoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

So turned off system restore but something odd happens when I try to run fixtdss.exe. If run it in safemode when I restart it just repeatedly crashes and brings me back to the safe mode start screen. Any option except 'last known settings that worked' will crash it and bring me back to the safe mode screen. If I choose last known settings that worked, it starts normally and I get the message: "Tool failure. Tool must be first run without -postboot." from fixtdss.exe. If I try the same process in normal mode it can't reboot itself. I get a 'end program now?' message for something called 'hello4' but after ending it I just get the same message over and over unless I hard reboot (by removing battery). If I hard reboot I wind up in the same problem with the safemode screen and being forced to choose 'last known settings' with the same error message on successful startup.

If I try to run Mbam I can install it, and update it but when the scan starts it crashes about 10-15 seconds in. If I try to reopen to access the logs I get the message:

"windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Only way to successfully open again after that is to reinstall. This happens in both forms of safe mode as well as in normal mode.

Also none of the above seems to be helped by my removing the stuff I find in the registry from searching for 'Security Protection'

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

Use this fix, when you see a box that states “Windows cannot not access the specified device, path, or file. You may have inappropriate permissions to access the item”.

Download This File
Save it next to mbam.exe (this file is located in the Malwarebytes Anti-malware home folder). Once done, drag and drop mbam.exe into Inherit.exe. Click OK and attempt to run Malwarebytes Anti-malware once again.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users