Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selective startup - making the selections

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

My old box served me well for nearly eight years. Trying to tweak the new box now. I'm no expert, so I'm pretty careful about trusting anything that I want to do. Some of the startup stuff (especially Dell Stage) was being obnoxious, so that has gotten moved up the priority list.

I have unchecked the following items from System Configuration > Startup:

accuweather
cyberlink brs
Dell DataSafe Online
stage_primary
Roxio Burn
Memeo AutoBackup
Memeo Backup
Memeo Send
Power DVD Language Application
PowerDVD RC Service
Memeo Dashboard
Stage Remote Manager
RealPlayer (32-bit)
Microsoft OneNote

For now, I have left the following checked:

Logitech Download Assistant
Logitech SetPoint
Adobe Updater Startup Utility
IAStorIcon
Catalyst Control Center
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
CommonSDK - - - (Search suggests Roxio.)
hpwuSchd Application - - - (Don't get me started on HP software.)
Java™ Platform SE Auto Updater 20
CTxfHp - - - (Search suggests that this came with Creative sound card. I had Creative on the old box and the software was always unstable and unreliable. I'm a little spooked to touch anything of theirs. ??)
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SBSV 2010/02/19-11:02:07 - - - (Search suggests that this came with Adobe Photoshop CS5 or Lightroom 3)
Adobe CS5 Service Manager
PowerReg - - - This is part of the Logitech installation. Don't know what it does.)
Logitech SetPoint

Question 1: Surely I don't need all four Logitech entries starting up automatically?

Question 2: Catalyst and CommonSDK?

Question 3: Any other suggestions for checking or unchecking?

Question 4 (bonus points): What things might I move on to to help make sure that I am in control of software (which hardly seems possible, sad to say)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

Msconfig is a diagnostic utility. Do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Are you having problems with your system?

You can safely keep the following from loading with your system:

Logitech Download Assistant
Adobe Updater Startup Utility
Catalyst Control Center
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
CommonSDK
hpwuSchd Application
CTxfHlp
SBSV 2010/02/19-11:02:07
Adobe CS5 Service Manager
PowerReg

Also, you do not need (or want) two instances of Logitech SetPoint loading. Pick one, delete the other.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

Surely I don't need all four Logitech entries starting up automatically?
Just the ones that relate to the software that is absolutely required by your Logitech hardware. You can look up the description to find out what each service does.

Any other suggestions for checking or unchecking?
You can look it up here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

For programs and services you're familiar with, you'd know best if you need them at every startup or not.

BTW, there are a whole lot of simple, easy-to-use utilities that help you manage your startup list, in lieu of using the MSCONFIG utility.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 23 August 2011 - 08:06 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

It's not only a matter of "simpler utilities". As I said, msconfig is a diagnostic tool and should not be used to make permanent changes to startup items.

#5 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

1. I selected "Normal startup" and that rechecked everything in the Startup tab. That puts me back to where I started.

2. I opened services.msc, selected the "Extended" tab and set the following:

-- Cyberlink Product - 2011/07/01 00:02:27 *From Automatic to Manual and stopped.

-- Dell DataSafe Online - *From Automatic to Manual.

Those were the only two things I could find that seemed like they had no business starting on their own.

3. Does that mean that I have to use other software to keep everything that wants to start from starting?

4. I installed the suggested program, but now I can't find it. I don't see "Control Panel > Startup I can't find it in a search either?

5. "Are you having problems with your system?"
Not problems exactly. But I don't like stuff starting up on its own and getting in my way, e.g., Roxio, Memeo, Dell Stage, Dell DataSafe. It gets irritating fast.

6. The stuff that you said I can stop isn't listed in services.msc Hardly anything that I don't want automatically running is listed there. (At least, not that I recognize.)

7. How do I find the Logitech SetPoint files and how do I know what to delete? The mouse went blooie and I had to run the CD to restore mouse functions. That's probably where the second instance came from.

8. msconfig was a lot easier. No wonder that's how I started trying to do this. Now I feel like I'm going backwards fast. Bummer.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

1. I selected "Normal startup" and that rechecked everything in the Startup tab. That puts me back to where I started.

Good

2. I opened services.msc, selected the "Extended" tab and set the following:

-- Cyberlink Product - 2011/07/01 00:02:27 *From Automatic to Manual and stopped.

-- Dell DataSafe Online - *From Automatic to Manual.

Those were the only two things I could find that seemed like they had no business starting on their own.

Fine

3. Does that mean that I have to use other software to keep everything that wants to start from starting?

Yes. Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel is a simple straightforward app for managing startup programs.

4. I installed the suggested program, but now I can't find it. I don't see "Control Panel > Startup I can't find it in a search either?

It's not in Control Panel. Startup Control Panel is wherever you installed it to. It's a standalone application. At the very least, there should be a program icon in START - ALL PROGRAMS

5. "Are you having problems with your system?"
Not problems exactly. But I don't like stuff starting up on its own and getting in my way, e.g., Roxio, Memeo, Dell Stage, Dell DataSafe. It gets irritating fast.

Yeah well - be careful with tweaking. Not wanting too much loading with the system is fine, but don't get carried away. I can't begin to tell you how many problems I've seen over the years that were caused by "over-tweaking".

6. The stuff that you said I can stop isn't listed in services.msc Hardly anything that I don't want automatically running is listed there. (At least, not that I recognize.)

Right. See above.

7. How do I find the Logitech SetPoint files and how do I know what to delete? The mouse went blooie and I had to run the CD to restore mouse functions. That's probably where the second instance came from.

Use Startup Control Panel. If you see the same process twice (regardless of which tabs they are listed in) delete one.

8. msconfig was a lot easier. No wonder that's how I started trying to do this. Now I feel like I'm going backwards fast. Bummer.

No, it isn't. It's just what you know. Once you see Startup Control Panel you'll see it's even easier than msconfig. More important, there's a right way and a wrong way to do things.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:30 AM

I believe you need to use the Dell datasafe to make the system recovery discs.

I suggest making them to avoid future headaches if your hard drive goes bad or you catch a nasty virus where you need to start over after backing up your data.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

It's not in Control Panel. Startup Control Panel is wherever you installed it to. It's a standalone application. At the very least, there should be a program icon in START - ALL PROGRAMS

When I ran StartupCPL.exe it didn't give me choice about where to install (unusual). It just did it in the blink of an eye and said 'Finished'. No option to open it. I only got the message about where to go.

When I first tried to install I got a message that a file couldn't install (that it wasn't found). Not sure how, but I wound up with message about installing with administrator rights (which it should have had). I gave that the okay and then it installed fine (except for not being able to find it).

I'm not seeing anything in 'All Programs' that looks right. The only thing close is a folder called "Start up". It shows three programs (shortcuts) inside: 'Logitech . Product Registration', 'Logitech SetPoint', and OneNote 2010 Screen Clipper and Launcher'. When I opened the folder the SetPoint shortcut wasn't there, so I deleted it from the folder in All Programs.

So I still can't find this thing. Is there a search string that I can use?

Yeah well - be careful with tweaking. Not wanting too much loading with the system is fine, but don't get carried away. I can't begin to tell you how many problems I've seen over the years that were caused by "over-tweaking".

Too true. I don't want to be stupid. That's why I need you. I'd sure like to slam the door on stuff that insists on starting to a point that is intrusive. The Dell and Roxio stuff is the worst.

Use Startup Control Panel. If you see the same process twice (regardless of which tabs they are listed in) delete one.

Once I find it, will do.

More important, there's a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Yes, I know. In the end I'll be glad that I've asked the questions. I always try to come away knowing more about something than when I started. (I keep pretty good notes too.)

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

Download it again - this time just download the standalone .exe file. It doesn't actually install, it's ready to use as soon as you download it.

#10 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Download it again - this time just download the standalone .exe file. It doesn't actually install, it's ready to use as soon as you download it.

Got it; and it opened right up. Is there any clean-up for whatever the other one did? I try to clean debris as I go. (My last box died of obsolescence more than anything else. I always felt that sweeping out the debris helped [though I could be wrong].)

It looks like I don't understand what to do with this though. There aren't a lot of choices.

Tabs:

Startup (user): Just the two shortcuts that I mentioned in my last post.

Startup (common): Empty

HKCU / Run: Empty

Run Once: DSUpdateLauncher and Launcher - There because I haven't run that yet?

Deleted: Empty

HKLM / Run: A mere twenty-four program items here, and I'm not sure what to do. I tried to uncheck AccuWeatherWidget (Dell Stage) and it immediately replicates itself. Tried the same with Memio Send and the same thing happened. I deleted the replicas so everything is like it was and checked. What's happening there?

Right clicking gives me a number of options, including 'Disable'. Does 'Disable' mean disable completely or just disable from automatically starting? What should I do here?

I don't see anything for stopping Dell Stage or Roxio (the worst offenders) from starting up and getting in my way. (There is an entry for RoxWatchTray but that's not much of an indicator as to what it does.)

Should I just decide to live with lots of stuff starting automatically and running where I can't see them? It seems to me (not that I know anything) that an awful lot of stuff wants to start automatically for no discernible reason.

I believe you need to use the Dell datasafe to make the system recovery discs.

Yes. I just haven't gotten to that yet. (I have a pair of Seagate external drives for file backup.) It gives the option of disks or USB drive. Is there a preference?

Edited by D_Blackwell, 23 August 2011 - 01:59 PM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

Don't worry about the first attempt to install it. I don't know what you did, but there's nothing to clean up. As for the tabs, each of those is a different startup location. For your purposes, it makes not difference what they are. Just uncheck anything you don't want to load at boot. If after a few boots everything is okay you can go back and right-click on the entries and delete them.

#12 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

Okay, but I'm still a confused as to how to do that. If, for examples, I uncheck AccuWeatherWidget or Memeo Send, the entry duplicates; one checked and one not. If I try to uncheck both, it won't let me, saying that an identical entry is already disabled. If I right click and 'Disable', the entry duplicates exactly the same way, one check and one not. I've tried several times and have deleted the duplicate entries to get the list back the way it was when I started. I can't actually seem to do anything.?

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

Some startup items will do this - especially if there is an option in the program itself to run at boot. You have a couple of choices:

1) Open the program options and see if there is an entry to load / run when Windows starts. If so, uncheck it.

2) Go to the startup location in the registry and delete the entry. Let's try the first choice before we make changes to the registry.

#14 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

1) Open the program options and see if there is an entry to load / run when Windows starts. If so, uncheck it.

Sorry, I'm getting too much credit. Don't know how to navigate this.

I tried to search the answer before coming back with a simple question but no luck. Tons of results that just say to shut stuff off with msconfig. Why is that bad? Almost everything I find says to do that. I prefer to do things the best way, but it looks the 'wrong' way is the path most people are going to find.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

Open the accuweather widget. Find the options. Uncheck "start with Windows" or something similar. Do the same with the other apps that won't allow you to uncheck them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users