Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*New* password for a known network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 southcecile

southcecile

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hi all, I have been using my iPad2 for work and have successfully logged onto the network. However for security purposes, the password changes every month or so, so it has to be re-entered on the iPad2. But as soon as the iPad2 recognises the network, it tries to automatically log on, using the original password! I have tried to forget the password and renew the lease, to no avail. What are my options from here? (oh and I'm not techy-oriented at all, so you will need to be gentle with me) Thanks :) Cecile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

Did you try to make your iPad forget the network?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 southcecile

southcecile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hi Didier, sorry yes that's what I meant to say, forget the network not the password. I
Left it for a few days, in case it was slow to kick in, then tried again, to no avail :(

#4 Soozn

Soozn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

I have a question related to this. My network used to be secure. then today it wouldn't work on my ipad, so I needed to reboot the router. Now the iPad sees the network, but it is no longer locked. How do I add a password & lock the network so others won't use my wifi?

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

I have a question related to this. My network used to be secure. then today it wouldn't work on my ipad, so I needed to reboot the router. Now the iPad sees the network, but it is no longer locked. How do I add a password & lock the network so others won't use my wifi?

Are you saying the following:
1) your WiFi network was secured with WEP, WPA or WPA2
2) you rebooted your router (which has an integrated WiFi access point)
3) your WiFi network is no longer secured with WEP, WPA or WPA2

If this is what you mean, then it's most likely that you have a router that requires you to explicitly save your configuration after you made changes, otherwise they get lost when you restart it. So you probably secured you WiFI network but did not save the router configuration.

Should you still have problems doing this, I suggest you open a new thread in the Networking forum and explain your problem there, because this is an iPad/Tablet forum.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 acid9burn

acid9burn

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

if you are adamant in using the existing network without changing the security type the alterneative that you have is by resetting your network settings every month.go to Settings > General > reset > Reset network settings This will reaset your wifi settigns and you can retype the n/w name and password..What's best is by changing the network to WPA2 personal and seta good password with alphanumerics so that youdont have to worry about network security.

NB : WEP wont work with apple devices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users