Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beginner Question: Switch to Router

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

At my dad's office they are havign network connectivity issues with random drops in network.

I was having them swap out switches first, since I had one and they could try it. I am 45 minutes away and usually work, so I explained to my dad how to swap out switches.

The old switch is: 3COM 3C16794
Replacement switch: Linksys 24 port 10/100 Switch (Don't have the model number to show)

Well, when they swapped, there was no network connection, and it said check an issue with the router/modem.

I got to thinking about crossover cable...is that required for this? If so, wouldn't it already be like that from the old switch? I know older switches have uplink ports, and I thought new switches could automatically figure it out.

They ended up having to hook up the old switch again, and it started working.

Any ideas?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hate to ask such an obvious question, but did they also powercycle the modem when they swapped out switches? The new switch might not even be recognized if they didn't powercycle the modem.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

Yes, I had them unplug the modem/router. It's a Motorola Netopia model, and they unplugged it for 30 seconds.

It's not so obvious...they initially told me it wasn't working and I asked if they plugged it in...and they had not. :)

#4 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

And the new switch is a Linksys Model #: EF3124
EtherFast Series

Any ideas...shouldn't it just work? And it should't matter what ports the cables go into.

Maybe it just takes longer to populate, but it was plugged in for about ten minutes, even tried rebooting the machine.

#5 curryjl

curryjl

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:16 AM

I got to thinking about crossover cable...is that required for this? If so, wouldn't it already be like that from the old switch? I know older switches have uplink ports, and I thought new switches could automatically figure it out.

Crossover cables are only required when connecting like devices 9 times out of 10. So, if you wanted to connect a switch to a switch use the crossover cable. When you say the network is down are you saying devices directly attached to the switch can't communicate with each other or you don't have internet connection with the devices connected to the switch?
Curry ~ CCENT, A+ Information Technician

#6 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Yes, I mean the devices on the switch are down.

I thought router to switch was supposed to use crossover? But I also thought that almost didn't matter anymore with newer products, since they automatically correct that...

#7 curryjl

curryjl

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

I thought router to switch was supposed to use crossover? But I also thought that almost didn't matter anymore with newer products, since they automatically correct that...

If the ports were 10/100/1000 it would auto correct. Did you make any configuration changes on the computers?

Edited by curryjl, 25 August 2011 - 06:34 AM.

Curry ~ CCENT, A+ Information Technician

#8 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

No, it was just physically switched from the 3com switch to the Linksys switch...nothing at all software related.

That's why I am confused, but I will try a crossover cable I guess. I know on some old switches they have the button on them to switch from using straight through or crossover on the port that's dedicated to connect to the router form the switch.

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

All of the ports on the new switch are autosensing and autocorrecting. The only real issues could be 1. They didn't connect the cable from the router/modem to the switch. 2. No power (but you already addressed this) 3. They are not waiting long enough for the switch to complete it's startup routine before trying to access something. 4. One or more of the ports on the switch are bad. 5. the unit itself is faulty. IMO there is really very little else that can be done to have an unmanaged switch not work.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#10 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

All of the ports on the new switch are autosensing and autocorrecting. The only real issues could be 1. They didn't connect the cable from the router/modem to the switch. 2. No power (but you already addressed this) 3. They are not waiting long enough for the switch to complete it's startup routine before trying to access something. 4. One or more of the ports on the switch are bad. 5. the unit itself is faulty. IMO there is really very little else that can be done to have an unmanaged switch not work.

"IMO there is really very little else that can be done to have an unmanaged switch not work."

That's what I'm saying! And it worked just fine at home...so my best guess is maybe one faulty port or module...I am having someone else hook it up, and I also gave them another unmanaged switch to try as well...we shall see.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#11 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Well, off but the crossover cable made the switch work...

just letting you know the outcome.

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users