Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zip File Deletions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 libraryboy

libraryboy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

I have been reading a lot about how to free up space on my hard drive. One post suggested to delete "zip" files. I have searched and found LOTS of zip files. Is it really oK to delete these?

I am running XP service pack2. I installed xp over ME several years ago. All the things that have been mentioned has only freed about 2MB so far.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

Im many cases, applications and videos are downloaded as zipped files. The contents are extracted, or unzipped, and you forget to delete the original zipped file, so you have, in effect, duplicate files on your hard drive. If you know that you have unzipped these, then you can delete them; if you are unsure, you can move these to a disk as backup before deleting.
Do you think you have some old ME files on your HD, like service packs or system restore files?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 libraryboy

libraryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

Hello John. I might have some of those ME files, but I'm a little afraid to delete something like that unless I call tell from the file name it is a ME file.

I'm using a old Compag Parsario with only 25 G on the hard drive. I've been able to freee about 10g so far and since I'm into this I'd like to go through everything to make the deletions as complete as possible.

Thanks.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:33 PM

A very commendable effort so far, and you are to be congratulated on your progress.

If it is an zipped application file, you can check to see if that application is already installed in your program folder;if so, but you think you may need to re-install the app sometime in the future, copy the zipped file to disk and then delete it.

You may be able to tell by the path of the zipped file whether or not it is something concerning ME or not.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users