Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Drivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hi folks,

So I have this system (Optiplex 745) that I got from someone else, drive wiped. I installed XP SP3 on it, and it has an integrated VGA and some other PCI AMD card. I don't know the model of the AMD card. When I go to Device Manager and choose Update Driver, it does not give me the option to let Windows find the driver. So I went to AMD and downloaded their autodetect application, hoping it would figure out what kind of card I have and what kind of drivers I need. Well I download and double-click on the icon for the app, and it just flashes on the screen and then goes away! Someone doesn't want me to have that driver! I also went to Dell's site to get drivers for the integrated card, but the one they provide won't install either! It says that my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements to install the drivers.

I'm VERY confused and annoyed. If I get the ATI drivers, do I even need the VGA drivers? And vice versa? Also, anyone know why Device Manager Update Driver isn't giving me an option to update through Windows Updates?

Thanks, folks!
James T.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

if you are going to use the amd pci device you don't need to install the integrated device drivers .its not hard to open the case and remove the amd card to get the model number of it ,also if you just start button and run windows updates it will scan computer ,and if it has drivers for ATI it would be there to install ,

does the computer still have the Dell service tag sticker on it ,if so put it in here and it will direct you to needed drivers for any other of the dell devices that may not be working ,.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Edited by caperjac, 22 August 2011 - 05:16 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

its not hard to open the case and remove the amd card to get the model number of it

I tried that. The model number is not on there. Weird, huh?

also if you just start button and run windows updates it will scan computer ,and if it has drivers for ATI it would be there to install ,

Did that too. It found nothing.

does the computer still have the Dell service tag sticker on it ,if so put it in here and it will direct you to needed drivers for any other of the dell devices that may not be working

I did this as well. It offered a video driver executable (you know the kind they give you at the Dell site, I'm sure. I ran the executable, and it stopped before installing and said my computer does not have the minimum requirements for the driver.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

Speccy is an advanced System Information tool for your PC. to find out what's inside your computer ,run it ,it will anlize you computer ,then go to file and click on publish snapshot ,copy the ling here if want or just check the log yourself for info on the video card .
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

I will try that, thanks. But how will it know what video card is in there without there being any drivers in the machine?

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

I suggest going through this guide first. :)
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

That utility did not detect the type of card I have installed. It just told me there was a monitor attached. lol

That guide told me to do everything I've already done, for the most part. Thanks, though.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

Possibly a x1300 or x1600 as Dell used a lot of those in the slimline type computers.

The 745s I've seen usually have a Core2Duo CPU and perform decent.

As a Point of reference to give you an idea I've seen them selling with XP Pro and 2Gb for approx $329

BTW you can also put the service tag into the Dell Warranty lookup page and see when it was made, when warranty ran out or will run out and There is also a page for hardware as delivered.

Edited by rotor123, 23 August 2011 - 12:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Please go to Device Manager then double click your Display Adapter(or single click, just need to open it) on Device/Hardware shown up look at top there will be a Detail tab, click on it and look at bottom there will be a scroll down list, select Device Instace Id (first option is that actually), on the bottom there will be something writen begin with PCI\blablablabla, click on it and press Ctrl+S[keyboard shortcut for save] (You couldn't do right click) and paste it on your next post.

Edited by abauw, 23 August 2011 - 04:16 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users