Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Start in Normal Mode, Services Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mokoo

mokoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

This has been bleeping bugging me for a while now. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to configure msconfig to start to Normal Startup. This is what happens: If I select "Normal Startup", "/safeboot" and "minimal" are automatically selected. If I deselect "/safeboot", then "Selected Startup" is automatically selected. Furthermore, some of my services -- primarily my printer -- do not start and when try to start it manually, nothing happens. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

Sorry, I'm confused. Why are you messing with msconfig in the first place? And EXACTLY what have you done so far?

#3 mokoo

mokoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for your reply. I run msconfig to access the system configuration utility in attempt to fix the problem; I haven't done anything or changed any settings. The only areas I have tried to tinker with are under the "general" and "boot.ini" tabs, but nothing happens.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Well, something led you to believe you weren't starting in normal mode, correct? Please provide full and complete details of what is going on, how it started, etc. Thank you.

#5 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

I think that's the end of that post. I sure would have like to known what he was trying to do.

#6 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

Sorry, I'm confused. Why are you messing with msconfig in the first place? And EXACTLY what have you done so far?

Allen: What is the alternative to using msconfig to change startup programs. I read one of your posts before, but don't remember what you said to do. I know msconfig should be used as debug tool, so if I just want to stop a program at startup what is the provedure ?
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users