Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware, Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chief Peter

Chief Peter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

Hi There,

A friends pc has been infected with a virus that is preventing him from opening most programs. The error message when you try and open a program is 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'

Also if i try and run a virus scan on McAfee the scan just stops straight away, same with Malwarebytes as well.

If i do a google search, select the first item, it will re-direct to a dodgy/rude website.

A backup of his documents have been put onto a USB stick.

Any ideas where to start with this?

Thanks

p.s Its Windows XP Home Edition SP3.

Sorry for the bad thread title!

Edited by Chief Peter, 22 August 2011 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hello.

You have an advanced rootkit infection. This type of thing goes beyond the scope of this forum and will require assistance from our Malware Removal Team.

It appears that the issues on your system will require a more in-depth examination than can be performed in this forum. Please read the information in this guide, and follow all the steps beginning with step 6. After you have followed the steps in that guide, I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. The MRT is very busy, so it could be several days (3-5 days is the average wait right now) before you receive a reply. But rest assured, help is on the way!

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Chief Peter

Chief Peter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:45 AM

Hi,

Thanks for a quick response.

After further discussions with my friend we have agreed that the quickest thing to do will be to just re-format, and he can start from scratch with a nice clean pc :thumbsup2:

Thanks again, this is a brilliant forum.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:30 AM

Alrighty, thanks for letting us know.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users