Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista freezes, reboots, bad graphics

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ear

ear

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2. Within the past few weeks the system has started to freeze, crash and then reboot occassionally. Also, when it starts up, occassionally it does so with bad graphics. I used Advanced System Care (free) and it has been unable to correct the problem. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:46 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

Bluescreen came up empty. This was after two crashes/re-starts and one freeze. All this morning.

No new hardwware has been added. Updated software: Advanced System Care 8/4/11; Sype 8/4/11; New: Secunia PSI 8/4/11, Quicktime 8/4/11, Java 8/4/11, Bing Bar 8/6/11, Adobe Flash 8/11/11.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Does the system work well in safe mode?

And please explain what you mean that it sometimes starts with "bad graphics".

#5 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:25 AM

I restarted in Safe mode and everything seemed okay. However, when I restarted back in "full" mode the login screen had bad graphics (appears to be very low resolution). Also, when surfing the web this morning the screen began flickering and finally restarted the computer. My wife said she was playing spider solitaire yesterday and a message about hardware acceleration came up and the cards moved in slow motion when dragging.

Bad graphics = low resolution

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

If it works okay in safe mode it could be a driver problem. Go to the website of your video card manufacturer and download and install the latest driver. Could also be a bad video card, a hardware problem of some other sort, or conflicting software. Let's see what happens after the driver update.

#7 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

We had an optional windows update that did update my Nvidia GeForce 8400 yesterday and today the computer was really bad. But, I'll search for more and report back.

Is there any tests to run and search out bad hardware?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

NEVER download drivers from Windows update. Drivers should only be obtained from the websites of the various hw manufacturers. Go to Device Manager, double-click on the display adapter, go to the drivers tab and roll back to the previous version. Then go to the website of the video card mfg, download the latest driver from there, and install it.

#9 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

There was an update for Nvidia. ver 280.26. I did install and a few minutes later the computer restarted itself. I am no on the re-boot from that restart. So far so good. I did check the driver and it was the one installed ver 280.26.

#10 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

The computer re-started itself after the video driver update. Is there a way to test the hardware?

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:31 AM

Go to system properties - advanced - startup & recovery settings and uncheck "automatically restart". If there is a blue screen error, next time it will stay up instead of rebooting. But if the system does reboot we may be looking at a power supply, ram, hd, or some other hardware issue.

#12 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

I made the change inside of system properties you suggested within "Safe Mode." Upon the reboot I rec'd a blue screen error message that said:
"Attempt to reset display driver and recover from timeout failed."

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Never heard of that error. Please try this again:

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#14 ear

ear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

Nothing showed in Blue screen.
I went into Device Manager and saw two devices not working (yellow !) They were eHome Infrared Receiver USBCIR and Consumer IR devices. I fixed these along with doing a "clean install" for the nVidia driver. So far, so good for 5 minutes. I'll let you know if there are any problems.

By the way, is there a good free software program to check for driver updates seeing I shouldn't use the Windows update?

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

You don't want to use 3rd party apps for drivers. The bottom line is you should never update a driver unless there is a specific need or reason to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users