Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ACER M5640 Ram Limit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 margolis

margolis

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:43 PM

Hello,
how much ram can an ACER M5640 with E2160 actually use. Should I buy a second 2 gb chip vs the 3 gb currently in the system or is it a waste.
I am using 32 bit Vista Home Premium.
The 2g chip is currently id as 2GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300U-555-12.
I was thinking of buying another 2 gig chip,
2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 CL=5 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-667 1.8V 256Meg x 64 Part #: CT823337 from
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Aspire%205640
Should I do it or not waste the money?
Thanks for the insight.
Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

The system itself supports fitting of up to 4GB of RAM, depending on how much of the address space must be reserved as PCI address space for the hardware fitted, a 32 bit OS may have access to generally somewhere between 2.5GB and 3.25BG of physical memory. Unless you are really pressed for free RAM, and hence getting lags from use of the page file, going from 3GB to 4GB may not be worth it. However if the system is currently running memory in single channel mode due to mismatched DIMM sizes, and changing to two 2GB DIMMs enables dual channel operation, the increased memory bandwidth could be worth having.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users