Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice in choosing a Free anti virus for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alumar

Alumar

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

hi guys i just upgraded from windows xp to windows 7 im looking for a Free but reliable anti virus to be used with my new OS, since i got a lot of viruses from my previous one, installing deep freeze will be my last option..any is highly appreciated..

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

I use and highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials

#3 Alumar

Alumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

does it detect any suspicous programs or anything harmful to my PC?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

No antivirus is 100% foolproof. Preventing infection has a lot to do with educating yourself on how to safely use your computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

I would also use Super Anti-spyware and Malwarebytes.

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

Been using Avast for some time...no issues and the price was right.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#7 Skizzle

Skizzle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

My favorite so far is Comodo Internet security. It is 100% free and comes bundled with Antivirus, Firewall, and what they call Defence+. Basically Defence plus alerts you anytime your computer tries to make requests to the internet or something tries to connect to you, asking what you want done; (Ignore, allow once, always allow, Block, Always block)

It hasn't failed me yet... as long as its running. I disabled it when I took it to work, and forgot to re-enable it X)X.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:00 AM

My favorite so far is Comodo Internet security. It is 100% free and comes bundled with Antivirus, Firewall, and what they call Defence+. Basically Defence plus alerts you anytime your computer tries to make requests to the internet or something tries to connect to you, asking what you want done; (Ignore, allow once, always allow, Block, Always block)

It hasn't failed me yet... as long as its running. I disabled it when I took it to work, and forgot to re-enable it X)X.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

+1 on Comodo CIS, the best security on the net and it's 100% free. Also use SAS and MBAM as on demand malware scanners. Just make sure you download and install the 64 bit versions. Also install Spywareblaster. Use Firefox with the No-Script and AdBlock Plus addons and you will be good to go. I also have a Win7 64 bit system and haven't had more than the occasional tracking cookie find on my weekly SAS scan using the above security since I built my PC last Xmas. Comodo CIS 64 bit is especially good.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. Please see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

After reading that, scroll up to the first topic posting and read Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users