Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox vs. Chrome

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sunwshpr

sunwshpr

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

Forgive me for asking "the" question, but which is better,...Firefox has seemed to get way ahead of themselves as far as security,..from what I hear (something to do with Java). Please enlighten me it you can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

What is your criteria for the term 'better'? That is a broad and open term that is difficult to define without some quantifiers. Better at rendering? Better at security? Better at web compliance? Better at speed? Better at support?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 sunwshpr

sunwshpr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

Well,...all the above,..a friend of mine just changed to Chrome from Firefox,..and said it was alot faster,..AVG is not compatible with Firefox,..for what reason I don't know,..I started using MSSE,...and something about Java not compatible also,...

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Chrome being faster could be due to Firefox addons and plug ins. So that may be a false sense of speed if chrome is not given relative equality in addons and plug ins.

As for the Java and MSSE components, I don't use MSSE so I can't comment to that.

For caparison purposes I would suggest testing each browser in their stripped down original download versions. Otherwise you introduce variables that skew the results.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:09 AM

Those of you who talk about one browser or another being "faster" must be living in the dark ages of 54k telephone connection. All of my browsers change the page immediately on clicking my mouse on the link, to measure any speed differential you would need some sort of equipment that measures in the millesecond range so I don't get what some of you mean on one browser being faster. I have Firefox, IE and Chrome installed. I use Firefox as my main browser due to the superiority of the add-ons available. I have IE just for Windows updates and along with Chrome as a backup as they are all import/export compatible with each other it is a good way to keep backups of my favourites etc.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 sunwshpr

sunwshpr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

I just Downloaded Chrome,...and from what I'm experiencing,...Yahoo mail (newest version) works better with the Chrome browser than with the Firefox,...Yahoo Mail on Firefox browser doesn't load the mail smoothly and is "buggy",...loads easily with Chrome,...so far I'm liking it,... I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if it stays the same.

#7 ItsAPain

ItsAPain

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

Those of you who talk about one browser or another being "faster" must be living in the dark ages of 54k telephone connection. All of my browsers change the page immediately on clicking my mouse on the link, to measure any speed differential you would need some sort of equipment that measures in the millesecond range so I don't get what some of you mean on one browser being faster. I have Firefox, IE and Chrome installed. I use Firefox as my main browser due to the superiority of the add-ons available. I have IE just for Windows updates and along with Chrome as a backup as they are all import/export compatible with each other it is a good way to keep backups of my favourites etc.

It could be that some people, like me, have a slower connection speed then you. Hence, the time it takes could be more noticeable. There are times that my 3g connection runs at 1xRtt or about dialup speed. I have noticed the difference. I use both Chrome and Firefox with the same add on components.

So yes you are correct, depending on my location, I may enter the dark ages of dialup speeds from time to time.

#8 shire

shire

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

I am using Chrome much better than firefox for me.one thing i don't like for firefox is that when it was loaded with add-ons or even just a bookmarks it takes long time to launch/appear on my desktop.while Chrome still have the same response even if it is loaded with my add-ons and bookmarks.I have experienced same problems on my WIN XP and WIN7 operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users