Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ruthe

Ruthe

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

I was using the computer yesterday and it had been having problems with the PSU cord not fitting snugly. I accidentaly kicked the edge and the computer shut down. I re-positioned the cord and started it back. I tried to gently move the tower back and it shut down again. After the second time it wouldn't boot at all. It started in the repair mode but was unable to repair it. I tried to do a system restore with 2 different times and still nothing. I shut it down after multiple tries. I decided this morning to save my hard drive and use another I had. It's a WD 640 mb. The original was a Seagate 1 TB & they are both SATA drives. I got into the BIOS to make sure it was still set with CDROM first boot. Then tried to install Windows 7 32 bit. I keep getting the error Disk Boot Failure. I have tried to use my computer DVD SATA drive and also an external drive with the same results. This is a computer I built a little over a year ago. It's our main computer. This is an older one downstairs that is my backup. I'm now at a loss as what to do next. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hello Ruthe,

I'm not an expert but I have built a few computers myself.

Just a few thoughts (maybe you've tried these already):

I got into the BIOS to make sure it was still set with CDROM first boot.

• While in setup, did bios recognize your hard drive; either sata hard drive that you installed?
  • Did you check that the sata cables were firmly attached both to the hard drive and to the motherboard and that the power connector is firmly attached to the hard drive (Computer 101 - but hey, I've forgotten that one a few times).
  • Could the motherboard sata port be bad? On one of my systems, I had a sata port go bad; would receive the "boot disk failure" message. Luckily, I had an open sata connector on the board, plugged it into sata2 and I was back working again.
  • If you have more than one hard drive in your system, was the proper drive set to boot? I had a computer with three internal sata drives that if shutdown improperly, the bios boot order would change; I'd have to reset it or I would receive the "boot disk failure" message.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users