Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Dell Beeps 3 Times And Monitor Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rdilling

Rdilling

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

I heve recently aquired a dell p4 computer from a friend of mine, it was dissasembled partly(just pci cards removed and memory) I put the proper cards back into it and now when i try to start it up all i get is three beeps and as soon as the monitor attempts to come on it shuts off(the monitor). on the back of the computer where dell has put four lights a,b,c,d a and b lights are yellow and c and d indicate green which is ok. anybody have any ideas to help out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

A site to check out your "beep" code:
Computer POST / Beep Codes
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

Remove your modem if you have one and make sure the memory is in the correct slots. Let me know how you make out with these suggestions. I may have more if these do not work.

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

#4 Rdilling

Rdilling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:05 AM

thanks for the suggestions but so far no luck. I dont have a modem installed yet so thats not the problem and as for the site on the bleeps, no help either

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:52 PM

What model Dell do you have?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

I heve recently aquired a dell p4 computer from a friend of mine, it was dissasembled partly(just pci cards removed and memory) I put the proper cards back into it and now when i try to start it up all i get is three beeps and as soon as the monitor attempts to come on it shuts off(the monitor). on the back of the computer where dell has put four lights a,b,c,d a and b lights are yellow and c and d indicate green which is ok. anybody have any ideas to help out.

Don't know which Dell you have, but here are Dell system codes for Dimension XPS, maybe the same.

Dell System Codes

Barb

#7 Rdilling

Rdilling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

the model dell is a dimension 4300

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

Rdilling:

Here's the exact page that covers the System Codes and Messages for the Dell Dimension 4300.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...m4300/codes.htm

a and b lights are yellow and c and d indicate green which is ok.

From the site I linked above, that Diagnostic means - Memory failed to be sized or enabled.
Corrective Action - Reseat the memory modules. If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in the Solutions Guide for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

The instructions for reseating the memory modules are here - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...ace.htm#1101964

Another symptom pointing to the same corrective action.

when i try to start it up all i get is three beeps and as soon as the monitor attempts to come on it shuts off(the monitor)

3 Beeps indicate - A failure occurred in the first 64 KB of memory.
Corrective action - Reseat the memory modules.

Hope that helps,
JC

#9 Rdilling

Rdilling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:57 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: woohoo well thanks to everyone that shot me ideas about my beeping dell 4300 its up and running. problems were, wrong memory, the hard drive had no operating system on it, and once i got into it a bunch of the settings were wrong. so now its up and going. thank you to everyone. now is anyone good with emachines? i have one that will not power up with the power button, only way to power up is to unplug the power cord, wait a few minutes reconnect the power cord and it will run, any ideas?

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

That's great. Create a new topic with all of the details that you can, and someone will be happy to help you.

Take care.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users