Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A New Rogue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TerryQ

TerryQ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Recently I loaded the Free edition of SUPERAntispyware on my sis' computer and after installing a pop-up window appeared asking if I wanted to install an update. At about the same time Avira popped-up with a warning about a virus. Recently she has been sending what appears to be hijacked emails containing a virus. Me too.

I now have this pop-up window for installing an update to SAS. Maybe it's real or maybe it's a rogue, but it sure seems coincidental.

Has anyone experienced this or know anything about it? Or am I just paranois?

Thanks for any help.

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hello, I am suspecy of SAS being a rogue but I do not know if where you downloaded it from was safe.

I suggest you uninstall SAS. How do I uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware?
Reboot and reinstall from here.

Click here to download: SUPERAntiSpyware FREE Edition installer
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TerryQ

TerryQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the response, however I had downloaded the original SAS from CNET and it installed ok and still works, but the popup on update install came up shortly after that and I'm not convinced it is the real thing.

Terry

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

When installing SUPERAntiSpyware these three boxes are checked by default for when setup completes:
  • Check for recent definition database updates.
  • Enable Automatic Updates (SAS Pro feature)
  • Submit a system diagnostic to help identify potentially harmful software
If you left these options set to default, a Definition Update window will open automatically after the install indicating the status of the update: checking for updates, downloading, compressing and processing CORE definitions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users