Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Recovery

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 goldenchild

goldenchild

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

I had some issues with my HP mini 1000, I downloaded MIE Image Creator and booted my system with it. Now, I'm lost on what program is operating on my mini. This is not the screen i'm used to. I do not know what to do now. Did I reinstall my system with the wrong program? How do I get my system operating the way it was before? Please someone assist me with this issue.

Things I do have 4gb USB Flash Drive
Additional computer to download files if needed.
HP Mini 1000 Model # 1154NR
The operating system was Windows XP *but it does not appear anymore during start up.
Intel Atom

*I do apologize if I posted in the wrong forum.
Golden Lucks "Gifted and Talented"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:46 PM

Hello Goldenchild,

I was reading the HP website regarding your mini 1000 and I see that there are two ways to reinstall your operating system.

One:
System Restore Utility (Installed on the notebook)
**You can use the System Restore utility to recover the original operating system and programs**

To use the System Restore utility that is installed on the notebook, follow these steps:

• Turn on or restart the notebook, and then press the Esc key repeatedly while the F10 = BIOS Setup Options message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen.
  • The System Restore page opens.
  • Use the arrow keys to select System Restore and then press Enter .
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to recover the system.

Two:
HP MIE Restore Image Creator (using a USB flash drive):
If you are unable to boot (start up) the notebook, and if you are unable to use System Restore, you can use another computer to download the HP MIE Restore Image Creator utility and create a bootable USB flash drive (purchased separately). You can then use the USB flash drive to install the HP MIE operating system and programs on your notebook.

Questions:
  • You used Option Two. Did you attempt Option One first?
  • The new operating system you installed, does it appear to be a different version of Windows or maybe Linux?
  • With the new operating system running, if you use the keyboard and press the "windows key" and "R" simultaneously the "run" box should appear. If it does, type winver, then "OK." This will show your version of Windows.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 goldenchild

goldenchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

I did try option 1 however, there was not success. Now with option 2 my computer is functioning but not as it was before. I tried to press the "windows key" and "R" but nothing happens.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

On the new desktop, are the icons similar to your old windows XP (i.e. My Computer, Recycling Bin, My documents)?

Can you access the internet and if you can, what is the name of the internet browser that starts.

Is there a "taskbar" along the bottom of the screen with an icon on the left that opens a "menu" when clicked or is there a menu at the top of the desktop? Can you describe what is on that menu.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 goldenchild

goldenchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

I have attached a image of what the computer looks like.
The internet browswer does not have a specific name. If you click internet it opens and then states that there is no connectivity.
On the bottom left there is a hp button that takes you back to the home screen if you go on the internet or open files or setting.
On the bottom right a help icon, bluetooth icon, internet icon, battery icon, sound icon and the time.

Attached Files

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

You have installed Compaq Mini with Mobile Internet Environment (MIE ). It looks to be a form of Linux that HP has modified for this notebook. It is not Windows XP.

If you are sure that your Mini 1000 came with Windows XP installed, I found the following two references for restoring Windows XP:

First, using a recovery disc:
An "XP recovery operating system disc" shipped with some mini notebooks models with XP. "Windows XP can be reinstalled using the XP Operating System Disc included with your notebook PC or purchased separately from HP." (see link). Recovering or Repairing Windows XP

Second, using Roxio BackOn Track:
Some Mini's shipped with "Roxio BackOn Track" software. To use this software to restore your computer, you would have had to make a backup image to a USB Flash drive when your system was working (see link). Recover Windows XP Operating System Using Roxio BackOn Track

You may have to contact HP for an XP Recovery Disc. Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP

Regards,
Brooks

#7 goldenchild

goldenchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

Thank you so much, I ordered the disc. Once I get it and reinstall I will let you know how everything comes out. I really appreciate your help.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

If you don't have either an internal or external CD/DVD drive for the Mini, you will have to transfer the new windows XP Recovery Disc to a bootable USB flash drive using another computer. The easiest way to do this is with a free program called "WintoFlash." Once the USB Flash drive is ready, plug it into the mini and set the mini to boot from USB.

Checkout this uTube video; a good how-to. WinToFlash: Make a Bootable USB Installer for Windows 7 - XP and Vista by Britec

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 goldenchild

goldenchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

I received 3 disc: Disc 1: Operating System CD; Mircosoft Windows XP Home Edition For Ultra Low Cost PCs SP3, Disc 2: Application And Driver Recovery DVD, Disc 3: Application Recovery DVD Microsoft Works 9.0. I assume it's one of the first 2 disc, but which one is it?

I downloaded wintoflash as well.

Edited by goldenchild, 26 August 2011 - 01:08 PM.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hello,

• Put "Disc 1: Operating System CD; Mircosoft Windows XP Home Edition For Ultra Low Cost PCs SP3" in your CD/DVD drive and insert your USB Flash drive.
  • (Warning: everything on the USB drive will be erased when you run Wintoflash)
  • Run WintoFlash and follow the directions.
  • When WintoFlash has completed, insert USB Flash drive into Mini 1000, power the notebook on, and look for "press any key to boot..." statement. Windows XP install should start.
If the computer continues to boot from the hard drive into the MIE environment, then you will have to enter the "setup" program and set the USB Flash Drive to boot first.
  • Turn off computer. Insert Flash Drive.
  • Power on computer.
  • Enter "setup" by pressing f10 while the "F10= BIOS Setup Options" message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen.
  • Select "System Configuration Menu" then "Boot Options" and set your USB Flash drive to boot first.
  • Exit "setup," restart, and look for "press any key to boot..." statement. Windows XP install should start.
When the install gets to the point of showing existing partitions and unpartitioned space, I would delete any partitions present so that you are left with all unpartitioned space, then create one new partition accepting the default of the entire unpartitioned space. Format with NTFS.

After you successfully install Windows XP you will then need to install the Drivers and Applications from the second DVD. I would copy the entire contents of the
Disc 2: Application And Driver Recovery DVD into a newly created folder, say "DRIVERS and APPS" on the USB Flash Drive. On your 4 GB flash drive, you should have the space. If you run out of USB space then do I quick format of the USB drive then copy the DVD. Look for a "setup.exe" file to start the operation. Do the Same for the MS Works DVD.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users