Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MRT.exe located somewhere else other then system32

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marsspeaks

marsspeaks

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

I recently reformatted to factory settings (running on Windows Vista) after I had gotten one of those fake trojan alerts that would just not go away. Everything seems to be in working order besides the somewhat slow start up. I was looking at my computer area and noticed I still had files in second hard drive. I wasn't aware those couldn't be delete from the reformat but anyways to get to the point I notice a folder in my second hard drive with random letters (2217fc2a..etc) so I clicked it, had to get administrator permission. The file in there was MRT.exe so I googled it and found out it should only be located in system32 and in details it should say its by Microsoft but it doesn't say that. It doesn't come up on virus scans with SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes. I even right clicked and scanned the file and folder and nothing came up at all.

Could I please get some help?

Edited by marsspeaks, 21 August 2011 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

I still had files in second hard drive

Did you scan that drive with your AV program?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 marsspeaks

marsspeaks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I did scan that drive. At the advice of a friend they told me it was just a temporary file from an update that was failed to be deleted so they told me to just delete it and that it wasn't a virus.

It still makes me wonder why it never said it was by Microsoft but maybe because it was just an update it didn't need it. I guess I was just being paranoid but rather be paranoid then sorry!

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

Well since you deleted that file there is not much we can check...

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users