Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 freeze up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rfgggg

rfgggg

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:35 AM

well now ive got this really weird problem that only seems to be affecting windows 7 on my computer...i duel boot between both xp and 7; 7 is what i use most of the time and only really keep xp as back up and the fact that im to lazy to move partitions and files around. but to the problem...when i start up windows 7 as its booting up as far as i can tell it just keeps sucking up my physical memory...once i do get into an account(administrator which has nothing on it) and open task manager(which takes a long time to start up log on and bring it up) i see that my physical memory usage just keeps going up and up untill it evetually uses to much and i cant use my mounse.....then itll keep going untill its completly locked up and i have to use the power button to shut it down...this has been going on for bout a week now...ive tried taken off all hardware(exept video card which is because i have no on board) and tried windows start up repair(which does nothing) and i cant use my disc right now because it wont let me boot into it(gives me i/o error i think my cd drive is dieing....only bout 6 years old now heh) this problem only happens with windows 7 on xp i have no problem i boot up and can leave it going....

any help would be nice but id appreciate it if i dont get the usual "just reinstall everthing" right away...ive got to much on there to lose again....

also sorry for any spelling mistakes but im tired right now and left my glasses in the other room....and i just cant really spell to begin with...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skizzle

Skizzle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

I was able to fix this issue on a few clients machines but unfortunately I couldnt help 1 of the 4. Before I offer a route I need to know if its a legit copy, due to the fact there will be two possible solutions.

Legit Copy:
Both clients had a stick of ram that was causing the issue. I don't know if it has something to do with the model/make of the ram, but when stick was removed and replaced the issue went away. I removed his 4 1G sticks and replaced it with 2 1G sticks I had lying around. Computer started and ran fine. So he bought new ram, installed it and it worked fine. The second client had his ram voltage set to high and I believe it was causing the errors or overheating, as when I set it to stock, he had no more issues.

Pirated copy:
I understand Windows is expensive, but I dont condone Piracy. I cant help much with this other than tell you that theres some copy's floating with a payload that will cause the machine to do this after a certain ammount of time. It seems Microsoft has also gotten smart and may have possibly included this in one of their updates. I don't know for sure, but the client told me he tried to run an update shortly before the issue happened. I was able to get him to buy a legit copy of Windows 7 and I installed it for him. No more issues.

I hope this helps. If not, reply and I will dig deeper and See if I can find anything for you.

Thanks,
Rich

#3 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

thanks for the reply...turns out i did have a not so legal copy of windows 7...thought i had it activated....ive now got a fully working key for sure only problem with this thing is that im going to have to reformate that part of the drive after copying over my files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users