Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very puzzling problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hi all,
I have an infection which is quite puzzling as well as difficult to get rid of. I'm running Windows XP Home with SP3, all updates are current.

The first thing that I noticed was when I right click on anything I get a single tone. If you click on the icon of the speaker in the tool tray the volume control opens. If you click on the slide you hear a tone, this is what I'm hearing. In some instances this tone will rapidly repeat itself until I click on a space outside of what I'm trying to open.

I had thought that perhaps I had a driver go south and opened Run only to find a dotted line run across the box for the command and can't choose any of the choices stored in the drop menu. When I moved the cursor over the command box it will disappear, it will reappear when I move it away from the box. This happens with all applications with such boxes.

Another thing that happened was that Firefox would open, but the tool bar was missing. I had to finally reinstall it to get the tool bar back. Since then it has not been altered.

If I right click on My Computer and then Manage I can then choose Device Manager, but when it opens only the first icon (the monitor) appears and I can't expand the tree.

I took screen shots to post here, but I couldn't use IrfanView or Picasa to crop the images. I then tried to upload the entire image to photobucket, but the image wouldn't upload.

Another thing I noticed is that it takes much longer than normal to go to a web site. This is a dialup connection, but this is much slower than normal.

I've updated and ran scans with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Avast. Avast did find something, but didn't identify it, I moved it to the virus vault and it looked like the problem was taken care of. But it came back after the third time I turned the computer on. I didn't find anything else running in normal and safe modes.

Alright… this is really weird. As I was writing this the problem stopped. It now is running normally.

I'm now able to upload the screen shot, so I've included it below.

Posted Image

This has done this twice now after running scans, so I feel sure that it will return. So any advice on how to pursue this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dc3, 20 August 2011 - 10:37 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hello, this may not be malware.

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hi Boopme,

Between Avast finding a threat, which was a first, and the odd behavior, I was really thinking this was an infection. A corrupt or missing file was one of the last things that I was looking for since this was a fresh installation a couple of months ago. I did run the system file check as you suggested, and you were correct. Oh well... live and learn.

Thank you for helping me find the true culprit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Hey dc
You're welcome. Peobably the malware corrupted the file.

Glad to here it's all good again.

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

Thanks again Boopme.

If I find any more indications that this isn't a clean machine I will post back here again.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

Absolutely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users