Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cheapshot2008

cheapshot2008

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Hello good peoples! I am yet another of the victims of the Google Redirect Virus (is it proper to call it a Virus?), and I'm just beginning to run down the Preparation Guide, and when it comes to backing up my data, I have never been quite as fastidious about that process as I should have, so, when I ran the Microsoft Backup for XP process and see that I have 190+ GB of data to backup, it seems rather daunting. Is this size of Backup really going to require something along the lines 47 DVDs to backup my data? Pardon me if I'm being too literal or naive, but I am truly as new as one can get to this process. Thank you, in advance, for your time and insight into this process.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Full backups can be hefty in size.
Normally you'd like to use an external hard drive to do it.

If you want to go minimal you can simply select what you want to backup. Pictures, music, movies, browser bookmarks etc.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 cheapshot2008

cheapshot2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

Thank you for fast reply! :thumbup2: Yeah, I had thought of backing up to a Hard Drive, but, I guess my main concern is, if I backup to another hard drive, I'm afraid that backup will contain the Google Redirect Virus that I am trying to get rid of, or should that not be a concern?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:52 PM

You're correct.
Back up what you need for now.
Hopefully things will go smooth and you won't have to use it at all.

After your computer is cleaned, you can delete your old backup and create new one.

In case something goes wrong (rarely), you'll have to scan your whole backup with an AV program before putting that stuff back.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 cheapshot2008

cheapshot2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Alrighty then, I'll go ahead and backup to hard drive. I bought a new 2TB Hard Drive, but it is SATA, and my MoBo doesn't have SATA, so I bought a bridge for the HD. I'll install it tonight, do the backup, and get on to business. Should I stay to this particular Topic to post my logs and such, or start a new Topic?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

If you want quick check I can deal with you right in this topic.

If you want to get more advanced help....

...you will need help from the malware removal team.
Please make sure that you read the information about getting started first.
Then start a new thread HERE and include or required logs.
Including a link to this thread will be helpful.

Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 cheapshot2008

cheapshot2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Thank you so much for your reassuring words and helpful ideas. I guess I will go ahead and Post in the Malware Forum once I am able to get the HD Installed and the backup done. Thanks again. You, Sir, RAWWWWKKKK most hardcore.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users