Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vmax8915147

vmax8915147

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

i have an e-machine t5048 desktop running windows xp the other day i pushed the power button the hd light came on solid and the power supply fan is running but the power light behind the on button didnt come on and the monitor screen is black.I e-mailed e-machine and got instructions to disconnect everything except the monitor, mouse and keyboard unplug the power cord and press the power button for 15 sec. reconnect the cord and try to start. Nothing changed whats my next step.Any advise you can give appreciated---Thanks----Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hello vmax8915147,

I have experienced similar occurances with both eMachines and other computer brands. At power on, power supply and CPU fans work (almost louder than usual), but no startup bios "beeps," no video display, can't access bios setup.

Aside from the advice that eMachine offered, I would try the following but only if you feel comfortable opening the tower and tinkering.

• Unplug the A/C cord from the tower then press the power button for several seconds.
  • Remove the side cover to the tower. Beware of static electricity.
  • Temporarily remove any extra PCI cards such as modems or sound cards. More than once I've seen a "bad modem" prevent the computer from booting.
  • Reseat the video card (if you have a PCI_E) and any memory chips.
  • Test the computer by plugging in and powering on.
  • If the above steps don't work then unplug the A/C cord again from the tower then press the power button for several seconds.
  • Locate the three pin CMOS Jumper on the motherboard (consult your computer documentation), usually labeled "CMOS" and jumpered 1-2 and move the jumper to 2-3 for 1-2 minutes. This will reset BIOS to factory default. Sometimes it's helpful to remove the circular lithium CMOS battery for a few minutes at the same time.
  • Replace the battery and set the CMOS jumper back to 1-2. Test the computer by plugging in and powering on.
  • If still unsuccessful and you have access to a known good power supply, try to swap it out and see if it boots.
  • If it still doesn't boot then it's probably time for a new motherboard.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 vmax8915147

vmax8915147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

thanks for the reply. Im going to open the side cover today see if anything looks fried.Unfortunately the only thing i can identify is the psu.I recently opened the computer up for cleaning which i do once a year. That was over a week ago and it worked fine until this. Ill post again after i take a look.thanks again.

#4 vmax8915147

vmax8915147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

ok nothing obvious fans running.there is green light on what i believe is the mother board. does that mean its ok? im thinking of rreplacing the psu. the battery in this is original how long do they last and would a dead batt cause this problem? thanks

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

The lithium batteries last 3-5 years. A dead battery would not cause your problem.

Have you tried the steps below? If the computer is upright and you are looking at the motherboard, try looking in the bottom right corner. The CMOS jumper is usually located near the battery and the "case pin connector strip"; where the case wires attach to the board.

• Unplug the A/C cord again from the tower then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Locate the three pin CMOS Jumper on the motherboard (consult your computer documentation) usually located near the case pin connection strip and labeled "CMOS." It is usually jumpered 1-2 (default) . Move the jumper to pins 2-3 for 20-30 minutes. This will reset BIOS to factory default. It's helpful to remove the circular lithium CMOS battery at the same time.
Posted Image
  • Replace the battery and set the CMOS jumper back to pins 1-2. Test the computer by plugging in and powering on.
  • If still unsuccessful and you have access to a known good power supply, try to swap it out and see if it boots.
I had a friend recently who thought that he had a bad power supply so he took the computer to Staples and a tech swapped it out for him while he was there. It turned out to be a motherboard problem. I don't believe he charged him. My friend never did fix the computer. It's worth a try before you buy one and find out that it's not the problem.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users