Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Router Help!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mi32

mi32

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

I have a sonic wall tz200 wireless router/firewall hooked to our switchs and fiber. One line in the wan port and one in the lan port. We don’t know who installed this we inherited it when we bought the building . We were told all works when we move in….and it has but not good …..I have some technical skills. But not sure what to do so I am asking the pro’s for advice and help.
We run off the wirless n signal it keeps dropping a lot I have tried changing the channel and frequency…still not working. The setup is in the back of the building I want to move it to a central location which I have found in the bldg that has 2 cat 5 data ports close to each other so I can do this.
Question is how do I do this I cant just unplug the wan and lan cables and move the sonicwall to the new place an plug one into one jack and the other into the other jack and get it to work….what do I do with the cables I unplug from the router at the switch??? So how do I do this relocate and get it to work in the new spot?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance
Ehunt

Edited by mi32, 20 August 2011 - 04:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

It is possible, but can you take a picture of where the router is now and how its connected to the demarc point?

#3 mi32

mi32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

What is a demarc?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

the point at which the ISP Support ends and the Customer support begins.

#5 mi32

mi32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

its connected by a cat 5 cable in the wan port...that then goes to the fiber box on the wall...and the lan one goes to the switch...does that help...

thank for your time and help

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

have you considered adding a wifi access point instead of moving?

#7 mi32

mi32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

yes i did I just didnt want to spend any more money...I was hoping this would be an easy task....so what else can i do to get this to work?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:34 PM

It will be easy, all you will need to do is run a cat 5 or cat 6 cable from the WAN port on the Terminal to the new area.

#9 mi32

mi32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

It will be easy, all you will need to do is run a cat 5 or cat 6 cable from the WAN port on the Terminal to the new area.

thanks cryptodan....but i believe this is what i am looking for

well, hopefully someone labeled the ports on the wall, and the ports at the rack. If they did, then great, just match the port you want to use for the wan port on the patch panel to the port on the wall at the other location. plug the cable from the wan port into the patch panel port, plug the router wan port into the other side of the cable at the cat 5 port from wall with the same label. Do the same with the LAN cable.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

Yup, but in all honesty I would run some cables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users