Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Modem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heyheygrl

heyheygrl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:44 AM

Hello all thanks in advance for any help you can offer

i recently installed a cd writter and video card and sound card into my computer dont know if this has anything to do with my modem problems

anyways 3 days ago after installing these items i was urfing the net and chatting on yahoo with my dad and all of a sudden my modem quits all lights still workin except send so i thought no biggie ill just reset modem so i unplug and wait 5 mins boot back up and im surfing again 3-10mins later i lose the connection same thing everytime ive done everything i think of even reinstalled windows i can get online after i reboot everytime but only for 3-10 mins

os is winme
ive done the ipconfig /release_all and /renew_all and all that stuff

called cable provider they checked and said modem was fine that dos prompt wasnt running?????? contact manuf.

Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

Pinging yahoo.com [66.94.234.13] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=48
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 66.94.234.13:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 96ms, Maximum = 97ms, Average = 96ms

ive been super surfin on the net trying to find an answer to this problem before disc. lol and admit i am lost have no idea where to go from here

i consider myself lucky could be worst and no connection at all

anyways let me know what info you need from me to help figure this out and thanks again

amanda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:23 AM

:thumbsup: to BC heyheygrl,

called cable provider they checked and said modem was fine that dos prompt wasnt running?????? contact manuf.

Could you expand on that?

What's the cable company? Modem make and model?
What does device manager say about the modem etc.?
Check for red or yellow marks in Device Manager:
Go to Control Panel.
Double click the 'System' icon.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click the Device Manager button.
You will see a list of hardware devices recognised by your system.
Do any of them have a red or yellow symbol after the name?
If so look at the properties of the device indicated (by double clicking on it).

Is there any info in the event log? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

:flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 18 January 2006 - 07:25 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

What brand of modem?

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:34 PM

You probably have a bad coax. I would start with the coax between the wall and outside of the house. Squrils love to chew on coax. It may well be between the house and pole.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

OhBoy! Time for another story from usasma!!! :thumbsup:

When I first set up my home LAN and cable modem - I just plugged it into the nearest coax cable I could find. I had the same sort of problems with sudden cut-offs for no reason at all.

Talking it over with a lot of folks let me up into my attic, where I split the coax where it entered the house. It was a dual splitter and I ran one side straight to the cable modem. No problems since.

Shortly afterwards, I found out that a friend worked for Comcast Cable. And when he came to install cable at my wife's office he showed me a "biased" splitter - which diverts more of the signal to one side than the other. It helped with the signal at her office immensely!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:22 AM

I'll try a different tack. :thumbsup:

i recently installed a cd writter and video card and sound card

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and double click System. Look under the Device Manager tab for any ! or ? in yellow. If your modem connects to an ethernet card (as opposed to USB) click the plus next to Network Adapter and make sure there are No Conflicts.

Now here's a story from Leurgy. Yesterday I was setting up a computer with cable internet and killing spyware and I could not get a signal in the modem. Followed the cable back into the basement and found that it was connected to a signal amplifier. I split the cable in front of the amplifier and went from there. Worked great!

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users