Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Machine goes to sleep at a bad time

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 woodsman345

woodsman345

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:07 AM

Hello,
New HP i7 Win 7 notebook and have the sleep mode at 2 hrs in the control panel, but when I clone a HD which is done before windows starts the damn thing goes to sleep a half hour into the event and when I run my finger across the touchpad it wakes up and goes again but the screen doesn't wake up and I am at my wits end with it. I don't know where I am at then.
I went to bios and there are only very limited options and nothing for power adjustments. The windows power options I find in control panel are invalid I assume with windows not running
unless they actually go and set the bios, but I do not think that is the case because this thing checks out allot sooner than those settings would allow.
Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.

Edited by woodsman345, 20 August 2011 - 08:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

Check the When I Close the Lid setting as that is automatic regardless of the settings.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-what-happens-when-you-close-your-mobile-PC-lid

#3 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:25 AM

Close the lid is set to sleep. I didn't mess with the lid or the power button...just swiped the touchpad to get it going again.
Also, am working off the power supply and not battery mode.
Thanks.

Edited by woodsman345, 20 August 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#4 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:56 AM

I have had great service from HP and they sent me a bios upgrade which was to fix this but when I went to install it flagged me and said "Not for this machine"
I don't want to get a bad bios in here, maybe I'll forget it and live with it at least until I get upset with it again LOL
They give no control over power settings in bios. huh.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

With having the setting to put to sleep when you close the lid over rides all other settings.

#6 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

I understand the lid setting and I dont close it, I dont want it to go to sleep... HP cant do anything for me. I think that I need a bios that I can control the settings it appears, I cannot think of any other answer to keep this thing awake when windows is not running. At the very least even if it does go to sleep I need the screen to work when it wakes up, it stays black. This is a new dv6 HP notebook, this shouldn't happen.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

If the video card doesn't wake up it will remain black. The HP DV6 series had issues with their video cards becoming disconnected due to heat by melting the solder points. Your lap top maybe part of the Recall by HP.

This issue is known, and HP Recalled the lap top series.

#8 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the info on that, I'll keep my eye on it and not let it get too hot if I can help it.
It is new and so far no recall notice on this one....yet. I checked the drivers today and they are the latest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users