Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP wants to report data

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:41 AM

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus. A box popped up asking if it would be okay for HP to report usage data and such. My girlfriend was on the machine and clicked okay, along with the box to 'Notify each time'. I would have just said no to start with, but it isn't the end of the world.

However, it wants to report in monthly and is damned insistent about it. If I click "No", then it pops up at least every hour and there is no option anywhere to stop this thing. I've asked HP about it and their advice is uninstall/reinstall. I don't think the sledgehammer approach ought be needed. (Plus, I should just be able to turn the thing off - but then everyone would do that.)

With the nag window up I opened Task Manager and the only thing that I can readily identify as HP is hpwuschd2.exe
It is in the HP Software Update folder, along with hpwucli.exe and SoftwareUpdate.dll
Am I giving up any functionality or benefit from genuine updates if I rename this file and just let it sit? Will renaming be enough to stop it from wanting to report home? Or should I change permissions through properties?

I haven't been able to find out exactly what this file does. Mostly I have found references that it is an updater, but I have also found a reference that it reports usage data.

If I can't turn the thing off, I'll just have to check the box that lets it report it automatically because I'm not going close the damn thing every hour of every day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

Please look at your Add Remove programs for anything for your HP printer.

There may be something there that was installed when you installed the printer.

If nothing jumps out at you, please post the printer entries here.

#3 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 Basic Device Software (180MB)

HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 Help (25MB)

HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 Product Improvement Study (7MB)

HP Update (3MB)

I.R.I.S OCR (HP) (69MB)

Is that center entry just what it says it is?

Edited by D_Blackwell, 20 August 2011 - 10:43 AM.

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thats the one I'd lose...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

You should also do a file search for backweb and see what you get.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:37 AM

Zippo, nada on the 'backweb' search. Not a single file had a match for the string.

I hunted down the directory for their Product Improvement Study, noted the location, and put a copy on a mini drive. Don't expect to need it, but you never know how people will connect stuff. (I hate when I am trying to get rid of something and get a message along the lines of "Removing this file may cause other programs not to work properly." I never know if it is true or if I have been spooked into being stuck with something.)

Anyway, after taking a copy I uninstalled. I will know in less than an hour if that will put a stop to HPs popup. It will be a few days to a few weeks before I use all of the printer functions, though I'm not expecting any surprises.

Thanks to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users