Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reasons The Guy Who's Fixing Your Computer Hates You

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zamiel963

zamiel963

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:46 PM

This is an article from Cracked.com that I found to be freaking hilarious and completely accurate.
Here is the link if you are so inclined: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-guy-whos-fixing-your-computer-hates-you/

6 Reasons The Guy Who's Fixing Your Computer Hates You

By my calculations, about 96 percent of all computer repairs are done, not by the local computer guy or the Geek Squad, but by The Friend Who is Good With Computers. Often that friend is nothing more than an average computer user who knows how to look up error messages on Google, but it doesn't matter -- once they become known as TFWIGWC, they will get the call every time something goes wrong. And they will fix it, probably for free, because TFWIGWC pities you.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 August 2011 - 11:50 AM.
Edited to comply with fair use rules ~ oB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

I tell anyone that mentions a computer problem about MBAM, SAS and if that is not sufficient to post a question on BC. :thumbup2:

#3 zamiel963

zamiel963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Have you ever tried to walk someone through downloading, installing and running MBAM? It can get ugly man.

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

they've been playing some online flash game that just funnels in malware as fast as their connection and processor will allow

That is what AOL Games (now Games.com) used to do. My parents' computer became so screwed up from that site that I had to reinstall Windows. However, I am smart enough to ask if there are any files that need to be backed up before I reinstall Windows, unlike the person that wrote the article.

Inothernews,myspacebarstoppedworking.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

OMG this is the awesomest thing on the web! This is exactly why I only try to fix certain friends computers. Or i do it like this: The first fix is free, the second fix is free, the third and following fixes will cost the person some money, and if they continue to screw up the same thing the price will go up each time until they ultimately either dont do it again or say screw you and take it to best buy or some other place that will charge them $100 to fix a little issue that the person kept causing then will do it again over and over until they come back to me and tell me they got a new laptop and it is doing the same thing... and on and on and on... ITS HAPPENED to me!! I finally told the person that he was a complete moron and that he was causing it and finally pointed out to them how to fix it them selfs. Two weeks later I get a call that they managed to blue screen the laptop by running this odd program. A reinstall and a repair later I find it was a virus. Then three months later I put a new hard drive in because they drooped the lappy....
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

OMG this is the awesomest thing on the web! This is exactly why I only try to fix certain friends computers. Or i do it like this: The first fix is free, the second fix is free, the third and following fixes will cost the person some money, and if they continue to screw up the same thing the price will go up each time until they ultimately either dont do it again or say screw you and take it to best buy or some other place that will charge them $100 to fix a little issue that the person kept causing then will do it again over and over until they come back to me and tell me they got a new laptop and it is doing the same thing... and on and on and on... ITS HAPPENED to me!! I finally told the person that he was a complete moron and that he was causing it and finally pointed out to them how to fix it them selfs. Two weeks later I get a call that they managed to blue screen the laptop by running this odd program. A reinstall and a repair later I find it was a virus. Then three months later I put a new hard drive in because they drooped the lappy....

I like the money charging part :P

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 lti

lti

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

My parents aren't very careful on the Internet. My mother always complains about the computer being too slow and everything being blocked by me. My father thinks that all computer problems are caused by games. Their computer is eight years old and full of malware.

There are a couple of points that I didn't like about the article. The person who wrote the article thinks that bloated software is only a problem for a person that is using a 10-year-old computer, but most software that has become bloated doesn't actually have any advantages over software that was created 10 years ago. Also, like I said above, he is too stupid to back up a user's files before formatting the hard drive.

Also, I found this at the bottom of the page: "Why Taylor Swift is the Last True Rock Star." I thought she was a country star. :scratchhead:

Edited by lti, 23 August 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

How are you going to back up a users files on a machine that won't boot unless you use a linux distro which takes time plus he asked the person if it was ok. But on the other hand if a fatal problem like that comes about then I leave the reinstall to the user, or I help them but they are the one using the mouse and keyboard so that it is not my fault if they do something such as that.

And Taylor swift is both rock and country. I like country more lol.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Depending on the situation, i would take out the hard drive and hook it to my computer so i can backup the files.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

Yeah me too unless it has a virus then I would have to rig a half cobbled mess of cables and try to get it in an external enclosure and then hook it to my mac lol. Then Scan the heck out of it just in case lol. But even stil it should be a law to backup!! or just have a 8GB thumb drive with most of your important docs on it then encrypt it or something..
sigcomp.png 

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

My antivirus usually detects the virus automatically but i take the risk.

My antivirus usually detects the virus automatically but i take the risk by not scanning it.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users