Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead onboard NIC causing crash of OS install

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lildrgn

lildrgn

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

I repurposed an old work computer into a media server and am trying to install W7 to it. It previously had XP on it and worked fine, except for the onboard NIC. Whenever I tried to use the NIC, the computer would shut down. Luckily I had an external USB wireless adapter which allowed me to bypass the onboard NIC.

Now, when trying to install W7, it gets all the files copied/installed, then upon setting everything up, the computer shuts down. I'm guessing the reason for it is the NIC driver is attempting to install itself, but haven't seen it to be certain.

Unfortunately, the board, an Intel DG965WH, is out of warranty and I can't afford a new board. I don't think I can disable the NIC in the bios, or with jumpers on the board (though don't quote me on that 2nd thought).

Anyway, trying to install W7 again, and I'm going to try to browse to the Linksys adapter's driver if prompted. Maybe that will bypass the onboard NIC.

Your thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lildrgn

lildrgn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

Oh dear, I may have spoke too soon. Of course NIC can be disabled in the BIOS. I just didn't see it. DOH! Disabled and trying to reinstall now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users