Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extra Ram Comes Up With Blue Screens On Xp

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 sousis1

sousis1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:11 PM

Hello there.

My PC is like this: 2,8Mhz Prescott Intel Pentium 4 on an ASUS MB P4R800V-DELUXE with a Kingston ValueRAM 512Mb DDR 3200/400 memory chip and an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 LE 256Mb graphics card.
I have this machine since March 2004.
About two weeks ago i bought a second Kingston ValueRAM 512MB DDR 3200/400 ram chip to upgrade my machine and use the dual channel capabilities of te Motherboard. I installed the second memory chip according to the manual, but about ten minutes later, while working, a blue screen came up and the PC, after emptying the memory to the HD, restarted. This went on for about 3 or 4 times.
I then quit and tried to start the machine only on the new chip. The blue screen came up just before logging in in Windows. Three times. I then reinserted the old memory chip and everything worked fine.
I took the new memory chip to the store i bought it and they gave me a new one, exact same maker and model. I retried with both chips and the blue screens just continued coming up while working in windows.
I retried also to restart only with the new chip and i also got blue screens before logging in in Windows.
I then checked the manual again. It says that when using DDR 3200/400 i can get up to 2GB of memory using dual channel installation, with only one chip per channel (while on DDR266 and 333 you can get up to 4GB on all 4 slots). I then checked the updated manual of the Motherboard in the ASUS site and it stated the same, also reporting that Kingston chips will work fine on the MoBo and are recommended. I went on and searched on Kingston's and ValueRAM's site, and here comes the funny story. Kingston says that my motherboard will only support 512MB DDR3200/400 (in total) ram on dual channel (one chip per channel), while with DDR266 and 333 it will indeed support 4GB ram on all slots!
Well, i mentioned that to ASUS support and they asked me to download the latest BIOS and try again. I did that, but when i again tried to start the PC only with the new memory chip, it gives me blue screens, but now they come up even sooner, while the Windows XP loading logo is on. And of course, i reinstalled just the old memory chip and everything is working fine. I posted again to ASUS support, but i must say that i do not expect much from there.
Well, what do you say? Any suggestions?
I am anxious, because i do not know how to upgrade my machine and don't know what to do with the new chip i bought for 52,90 euros. It definetely doesn't work with my MoBo. And time passes by and i need to know what i could do in order to get my upgrade and not lose my money. The guys from the store stated that they would change the memory chip once more, but i believe i should better ask for my money back as it seems that there is a serious compatibility issue between the chip and the MoBo. What do you say?
And a last thing. Do you think i could search for a memory chip manufactured about the same time my first DDR chip was? Would that make any difference?

That's my story. Waiting for some kind of advice or solution.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Could it be a Windows XP issue? Here is the last message i got on the blue screen, with only the new memory chip onboard.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF85BD203, 0xF834B97c, 0x0000000)

CLASSPNP.SYS - Address F85BD203 base at F85B7000 Datestamp 3d6de49a

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

Try running without dual channel enabled.

Edited by Salo, 17 January 2006 - 11:20 PM.

#3 sousis1

sousis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

I have not found a dual channel option in the BIOS. I think it is supposed to detect it automatically. And i said before, the machine gives me blue screens even with just the new DDR on, while on the old one i had never seen a blue screen for two years.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:50 AM

Do you have service pac 2? I found the following after googling the error code.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/...=&ErrorID=21389

Error Message:
0x0000008E
Translation:
This error appears on a blue screen in WinXP. This rare (and random) error can occur when a program references an incorrect memory address, causing your computer to crash.

Solution:
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP.

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described above. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. If you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you obtain the latest Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

What is the modle of the Kingston module? Kingston only show one module for the 512MB 400MHz DDR, and that is the KVR400X64C3AK2/512. Also remember that if you are running in dual channel, the modules must be a matched pair.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 sousis1

sousis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

The memory modules is KVR400X64C3A/512, not KVR400X64C3AK2/512. This stands for both the new and the old memory chip. So it shouldn't be a matching pair modules problem.

As for the SP i will try to use XP SP2. Do you know if the hotfix is included in SP2? I read in the site above that you must contact Microsoft support and they will give the hotfix to you only after you have proven you have the specific problem.

Once more though, i should mention that the problem (blue screens) is there only with the new memory chip onboard. The old one still works fine, by itself. So i believe that somehing must have changed on the chip construction or map, or just the chips on it (the old one seems to have Hynix memory chips on, i can't understand what chips the new Kingston module has on.

Still waiting for ASUS's second answer as well. Hope they come with something up. or maybe specific information to resolve this.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

This is almost certainly a memory error. Once you've updated to SP2, read this article about the hotfix that dc3 referenced: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;827663

When you get to the section about the hotfix - follow the instructions exactly and you'll get a download of the hotfix. The good news is that, if the hotfix deoesn't work, you'll probably get free Tech Support from Microsoft for this error!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 sousis1

sousis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:46 AM

Great info stuff. I will try to upgrade to SP2 tonight and i will contact you later or tomorrow. To tell you, hopefully, good news. Let's see if Microsoft has worked it out.

Thanks a lot

#8 sousis1

sousis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

No luck with SP2. I have a new problem. The bluse screens (yes, it's there again) come up with the message:

STOP: 0x0000000A (0xC0054B70, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804EAAE8)

Microsoft has really a lot of information about it, but they also say that it could be anything, from Windows to the MoBo, or the HD's, or the CD's, or the soundcard, or Memory issues etc.

Of course i know it's a memory issue, but i did not find any specific information what to do.

Could anyone have an idea about that?

Thanks a lot

PS: The old memory module again works perfect, with the new one i get blue screen after the Windows loading screen, just before the log in screen comes up

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:49 AM

If the old one works fine and the new one doesn't then it's either the new chip that's at fault - or it's a problem with the connections and circuits in your motherboard.

First, thoroughly read the manual about how to install and enable dual channel memory on the mobo - Asus is sortof confusing about this.

Check the new module in place of the old module (in the same slot as the old module).

If this still gives errors, then I'd have to conclude that the chip is at fault.
If not, then it's a mobo setting or a mobo hardware issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 sousis1

sousis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:21 AM

First of all, the dual channel is enabled automatically when two memory chips are detected (in my case, two DDR400 chips, one per channel). Asus don't say it is set manually.

Second, when i saw that i had problems with the two chips onboard, i have been testing the new chip alone on the same slot as the old one. Replacing them quite a few times, every time i try some solution from ASUS, Microsoft or your suggestions. The old one works fine, in the first slot of the MoBo. The new one, in the very same slot, alone, always gives me blue screens.

It should not be a bios problem as the MoBo shows that the two chips are the same (each one at each own).

Trying the SP2 solution, i fixed the problem the previous blue screen described, but another one came up. I described it in the messages before. So it could be Windows's problem.

Also, i have already once returned the new chip at the store i bought it. They checked it, they said it worked fine, but nevertheless they gave me a new memory chip and said that they would change it once more, if i had any problems. I have had the same problems with both the new memory modules. Two times defective modules, back to back? What can i say?

I repeat, the new modules are the exact same model as my old module KVR400X64C3A/512 DDR 3200/400. Maybe, the module's memory chips are from different manufacturer, but could it be that? Could Kingston have changed somethin on the module? (Old chip early 2004, new module late 2005).

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

Some folks I know don't like Kingston - but I've never had a problem with it. I'd suggest taking the chip back to them and letting them test it.

Here's the key:

The old one works fine, in the first slot of the MoBo. The new one, in the very same slot, alone, always gives me blue screens.

Since the system works properly with the one chip - everything is OK. Then, when the only thing that you change is the chip - it's not OK. And, just to verify, when you put the first chip back in - everythings OK again.

It seems to me that he only thing that it could be is the chip!

#12 sousis1

sousis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:36 AM

Went on ahead today and returned the module to the store i bought it. They gave me a Transcend module instead. Wish me luck. I will test it tonight, after work, and let you know what happened.

#13 sousis1

sousis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:41 AM

I forgot to tell you. I asked them for a KVR400X64C3AK2/512 module (recommended by Kingston), instead of the KVR400X64C3A/512 they had given me. They said they knew of these new chips but they haven't arrived yet at the store. This K2 factor, could that be the problem? I guess we'll never find out.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:47 AM

Dunno, but "nothing succeeds like success!"

#15 sousis1

sousis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:34 PM

More news from here. Good and, guess what, bad. Tested the new Transcend module and worked fine! By itself! Tested it together with my old memory module and... Nothing, nada, zilt. I power on the PC and before even the first bios test screen comes up i get a voice message from the MoBo saying "System failed CPU test". That's even before the memory test. Now, what do you think about that? Any suggestions?

I should mention i tried the two modules arranged in every possible and "legitimate" position, according to the manual. Both single and dual channel. It's all the same.

Well?

P.S. I have allready tried some power testing, disconnecting a fan and a HD, but the problem insisted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users