Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Link 2 Hardrives Together?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DarkAngel_

DarkAngel_

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:56 PM

can you link 2 hardrives together? i got a 14 gig and 9 gig i'd like to link together, but i dont know how, can any one help me make it a 23 gig hardrive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

You can install a second hard drive as a slave.
Set the jumpers for the main drive to "master" and for the second drive as "slave".

If you already have two hard drives installed you can buy a additional controller card which will enable you to connect two more.

With the prices of hard drives as low as they are, why are you messing around with such small drives anyway?

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 January 2006 - 11:33 PM.

#3 LonMon

LonMon

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:28 AM

I bought a SimpleTech Network Attached Storage (NAS) 160GB pretty cheap and one of the features it supports is pooling of drives. You could get one of those and add your existing extra drive to the pool and also add more USB drives to it as pooled or separate. Another benifit of use to me was it acts as a USB print server so the printer goes into it and then directly to my switch. No need to hook the printer to a PC. Just a thought...

Edited by LonMon, 18 January 2006 - 12:28 AM.

Technology is fundamentally worthless if you don't understand the problem you are trying to solve.

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

I would recommend buying a new hard drive, they are practically giving 40 gig hard drives away and 300 gigabytes are under $200.00.

The only real way to make two hard drives act as one is through a RAID controller card, which would cost as much or more than a new drive, and then you still only have 23 gig or so of hard drive space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users