Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Enough Memory To Load Specified Image...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

I downloaded Slackware 13.37 on a DVD (32-bit version). The MD5 check is fine.

I am trying to install on an 11-year-old computer. It has a Pentium III 1100 MHz, 1.5 GB of memory, the motherboard is a Tyan Trinity 400 (S1854).

Upon booting up with the install DVD, it reaches the point where it says "Loading initrd.img" and then I get the following error message: Not enough memory to load specified image.

I have tried using two kernels: hugesmp.s and huge.s. Same error message!

Am I out of luck? Is my computer too old for Slackware? (No problems running Ubuntu 11.04 or Windows 7...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

IMHO, a person could either begin here ( http://fixunix.com/slackware/125049-what-processor-choose-kernel-compile.html ), for hints on compiling a kernel for Slackware or go with a true Debian distro and use the script smxi ( http://smxi.org/ ) to help choose an appropriate pre-compiled kernel (i.e. from Liquorix), instead. With a PIII, either is a good choice.

BTW, see Swift Linux.

Edited by pane-free, 19 August 2011 - 05:42 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

I would try using a smaller kernel with 1.5Gigs of RAM.

What is the size of the hard drive?

#4 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

I would try using a smaller kernel with 1.5Gigs of RAM.

What is the size of the hard drive?

The total HD is 80GB, but 50% of it is already taken by Ubuntu 11.04.
I have sda3 and sda7 set up for Slackware. They are empty and already formatted with the ext4 filesystem. (Used Partition Magic.) Together they add up to about 38GB. All I need is for the installer to work so that I can point it to these partitions...

I just downloaded and burned Slackware 11.0 and the installer works just fine. Perhaps, I should re-download Slackware 13.37 and burn it again (even though the MD5 check was ok!!).

I got another idea... How about I launch the installer using 11.0, swap disks, and proceed with the install of 13.37? :-)

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

Id recommend reburning the disks.

#6 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:50 PM

I finally figured out what the problem was...

My eleven-year old desktop uses Award Modular BIOS v. 4.51PG. Under Chipset Features Setup, there is an entry called Memory Hole. It was enabled with a value of "15M - 16M". I disabled that and now the setup DVD loads just fine.

I am not much of an expert and don't really understand the advantage of having Memory Hole enabled, but the desktop seems to be working just fine with this setting disabled!

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:43 AM

Glad you posted the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users