Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Won't boot - missing or corrupt hal.dll

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seabeerick

seabeerick

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

I have the same problem as user Lily123 from yesterday, system starts to boot and stops stating that windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt hal.dll
I have genuine XP cd, and have tried every conceiveable way to get windows to restart, the Recovery Console ends in a BSOD stating I have an "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and the technical information at the bottom states:
***STOP: 0X000000ED (0x89C25C98, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I cannot get the system to start from any number of optopns from the Advanced Options Menu - No Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config, etc...
Inserting the genuine CD starts the "Boot from CD" option, Windows Setup begins and loads the necessary files but ends in a BSOD stating: "A Problem Has Been Detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." Technical line at bottom reads:
***STOP 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my work laptop and I really need it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

Insert MS Windows CD...boot.

Elect to repair current install...at prompt, type 1...hit Enter for password request...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Unmountable boot volume is what you report in your post...hal.dll is what is in your title. These are totally different errors/scenarios, with the unmountable boot volume being more serious, IMO.

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Louis

#3 seabeerick

seabeerick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

Louis,

Thank you for the reply, however, I cannot get past the point you are refering to...It goes to a BSOD before ever offering the option to repair the install, I may have mentioned in my first post.

I understand the problems I mentioned are two separate issues, but they both have popped up as I have tried to get the system to re-boot.

Any additional ideas?

Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, since errors prevent use of the XP disk.

Louis

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic

Usually the best first step you can take when encountering most problems (and always the best thing to do before running chkdsk /r). Tell us the brand of the hard disk drive that is in your computer and we can point you at the appropriate tool to download and test the hard drive with. The downloaded tool needs to be burned to a CD, and then the ailing computer booted from the CD to run the diagnostic utility.

Edit to add note: Run the short/quick test first, and then the long/extended test. It is possible that during the long test you may be offered the opportunity to repair the disk if there are problems. Choose to do so, but ONLY if you have already backed up all important personal files (same goes for running chkdsk /r).

Useful link: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities

You said: "Inserting the genuine CD starts the "Boot from CD" option, Windows Setup begins and loads the necessary files but ends in a BSOD stating: .... STOP 0x0000007B"
That is normal when you have a SATA hard drive and are using SATA mode (the XP CD does not come with SATA drivers). There are just three ways to overcome this, enabling you to boot from the XP CD.
  • If your particular BIOS has this option, change the way BIOS sees the hard drive from SATA (Raid on ... or something similar) to ATA/IDE compatible (Raid autodetect ... or something similar). If this option exists, it is the quickest and easiest to implement.
  • Press F6 when prompted and load the motherboard SATA drivers from a floppy disk.
  • Slipstream the motherboard SATA drivers with the XP CD and create a new CD with the SATA drivers on it, and then boot from that new CD.
Both the error messages that you report "hal.dll missing or corrupt" and "unmountable boot volume" are often caused by corruption of the disk file system, and corrected by running chkdsk /r. (You may have to run chkdsk a number of times to fix a badly corrupted system.) Booting with the XP CD will enable you to load the XP Recovery Console. From there, you should then run chkdsk /r which will (if you are lucky) enable your computer to load Windows normally.

On the ailing computer, run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console to repair the file system.
  • Insert the XP installation CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed.
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
    This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
  • Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.
Does Windows start normally now?

Edited by AustrAlien, 19 August 2011 - 11:38 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users