Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway LCD Monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 daic

daic

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

Hello.

MONITOR:

Gateway FPD2275W (Black) LCD

ISSUE:
Monitor comes on but after maybe 20 seconds, the screen goes black

ACTION(s) TAKEN:

Tried a different power supply cord
Tried a different connection cord
Check connection to/from monitor/computer.

FURTHER EXPLANATION:
I press the button to turn on the monitor, Gateway emblem shows up, -VGA- shows up because that's the connection. Then after that about 20 seconds later, the monitor screen turns black. I still see the buttons on the side glowing, as they should be. Also, the colors don't change on the buttons, so its not just going into sleep mode.

QUERY:
To me this seems like the monitor is just slowly dieing, and is time to get a new one.
Are there any suggestions that may let me get some more life from the monitor before I have to purchase a new one?

-thanks
~daic

Desktop | Laptop

• [OS] Windows 10 Pro x64 | 17.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Pro x64
  • [Motherboard] Intel DZ87KLT-75K
  • [Power Supply] Zalman ZM850-HP Plus 850W
  • [HDD] Seagate Hybrid STCL2000400 2TB | 256 GB SSD
  • [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:07 AM

Your signature lists two computers, however I am not sure which computer you have this monitor on.

I did a Google search on this model number and it appears many owners of this monitor have had issues with it, even as early as owning it for a few days.

Some of those posts I've seen are dated as far back to 2007, so if you were one of the lucky ones who have had more than a few years use of it, I congratulate you on owning one that lasted this long.

I can only suggest you try the monitor on another computer, this will tell you if it is indeed the monitor or your video card that has failed.

You could also try another monitor on your computer and if it works, you now know your monitor has failed.

There appears to have been an internal power circuit board to display screen issue that developed during the manufacturer of these gateway monitors, some defects revealed themselves early and other issues developed over the course of time, in fact there was a law suit considered because Gateway failed to acknowledge the defect and recall the monitors and replace with another non-defective unit.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:44 AM

The computer in question is the DESKTOP in my signature.
I have also searched around and got the same reviews about the Monitor, that they didnt last long.

Before i posted, i had swapped out monitors so i could use this computer.

Ill try the Monitor on my second computer and see what happens, seems my first thought about it dieing were correct.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, i will let you know what happens when its plugged into another computer (for a follow up on your help).

~thanks again
-daic

Desktop | Laptop

• [OS] Windows 10 Pro x64 | 17.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Pro x64
  • [Motherboard] Intel DZ87KLT-75K
  • [Power Supply] Zalman ZM850-HP Plus 850W
  • [HDD] Seagate Hybrid STCL2000400 2TB | 256 GB SSD
  • [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:03 AM

Since your computer is displaying an image on another monitor, it is most likely safe to say your Gateway FPD2275W monitor is the culprit here.

But it wouldn't hurt trying the monitor on another computer to see what the result is.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:30 AM

It's quite possible that your monitor is experiencing faulty electrolytic capacitors - this occurs frequently with many brands. Someone who feels confident opening up a case, identifying faulty capacitors, removing them and soldering in replacements may be able to resurrect it if that's the problem. But other things can cause the symptom.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users