Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Accessing shared folder freezes windows.

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Osoreru


  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

Hiya fellas. I've got a serious issue here, and so far I haven't gotten any actual answer to the problem. Here's the description as best I can give it:

A client of mine has 2 database programs that are stored on a Windows 7 Professional machine. There is no domain, and no server software involved. One of the databases utilizes the NetBEUI protocol. The client machines that use the database are almost all running a mix of Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home.The problem I'm running into is that the Windows XP machines will randomly, and for reasons that I can't figure out, are suddenly losing complete access to the shared folders that have the database files in them. If you even just single click on them in My Network Places, Windows will lag up and then freeze. If you try to open them, explorer will crash entirely. The problem is complete intermittent and will not hit all computers at once. At first, I thought it was Symantec Endpoint Protection, as I found some references to the specific version of the software they had causing this issue in a number of cases. However, even after removing Endpoint (which seemingly fixed the problem), the problem continues. What's really strange is that I can ping the server and get no time outs. One of the database program continues to work, while the other crashes entirely. If I load the computers in Safe Mode, the problem goes away. As soon as I reboot into normal mode, the problem returns. The only other way I've managed to fix it was running Combo Fix (thinking that maybe it was a virus). No fix I've tried though has been permanent, and this problem has been going on now for over a month. I'm at a complete loss of what to do at this point, and I really need some help.

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2011 - 09:19 AM.
Moved from XP to Networking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users